Headline: Libertarians be like Picture of disugested women next to “Tyranny.gov” Picture of intressted women next to “Tyranny.com

• JackGreenEarth@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    16 days ago

Don’t know exactly how you define ‘libertarians’, but if you mean right wing/small government advocates, I’m with you.

• WhatAmLemmy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        16 days ago

The only libertarians in the general population’s consciousness are right-wing, as libertarian political parties were literally financed by fossil fuel, tobacco, and weapons manufacturer oligarchs — the US Libertarian parties first presidential candidate was a fucking Koch bro (billionaire fossil fuel oligarch) — all because they wanted to pay less taxes and deregulate their businesses, after regulations like the clean air act meant they could no longer destroy waterways and create acid rain without consequence.

99% of the human population have no idea that left-wing libertarians exist, or that libertarianism was considered left-wing and progressive prior to right-wing appropriation in the 1960/70’s.

• RvTV95XBeo@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          16 days ago

prior to right-wing appropriation in the 1960/70’s.

Because when its been this way for long enough to be considering retirement, the way it used to be is pretty irrelevant to the discussion.

It’s like calling Republicans the party of Lincoln. It has no connection to today’s politics.

• III@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            16 days ago

It has no connection to today’s politics.

“We are the party of Lincoln, so let us fly our confederate flags!” I mean, it does connect… just in an “opposite day” kind of way.

• WhatAmLemmy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            14 days ago

Libertarian politics is not Libertarianism. Do you consider the Democratic Republic of North Korea to have forever tainted the concept of Democracy?

• Eldritch@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          16 days ago

100% this. And it’s sad. Because there actually aren’t any right wing libertarians. They are (economic) liberals. Rejecting basic tenants of Libertarianism like public ownership of natural resources , and tack on insane BS like the NAP. The man who coined the term libertarian, defined what it was, fought in the fucking French Revolution. He also rallied and fought against the same Liberals larping as libertarians today.

• BossDj@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      16 days ago

I think another implication here is they trust a corporation more than a government

• d00ery@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        16 days ago

I’m not condoning this, but one argument I’ve heard is that it’s easier to pick a different corporation (i.e. don’t buy from them) than it is to change your government (every 4 years ish) and it’s only the political party, not the civil service / employees (or whatever it’s called in the USA) that change.

Of course monopolies, huge barriers to entry for new companies, etc, weaken this argument.

As a final note; I think the combination of unions, govt., and private enterprise is the best we can hope for under the existing system.

• GraniteM@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          16 days ago

it’s easier to pick a different corporation (i.e. don’t buy from them)

This argument also falls apart when the thing you want to buy is essential and/or all of the companies selling it are horrible (or the very concept of selling it at a profit is horrible), e.g. health insurance, water, housing, staple foods, and so forth.

• Strykker@programming.dev
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              15 days ago

But that’s exactly what libertarians want to do. They want the government to manage nothing and just let corps do everything with no oversight.

• MrMakabar@slrpnk.netOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          16 days ago

We have cooperatives in a lot of forms being part of our existing system. This is in the form of housing coops, cooperative banks, cooperative stores and worker owned companies. All of them survive and some even thrive in our current system. Mostly they are growing slowly, if at all, but are much more stable and fiscally conservative. They can even work very well on natural monopolies as utility cooperatives have shown.

There are also legal setups like trusts, which can be very benefitial, if done right.

• Ziglin@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          14 days ago

Hear me out: Instead of companies we have various non profit organisations that evenly supply people with goods and have to keep their expenses completely transparent.

I’m sure there’s some issues with this and I’m curious to hear them but I feel like this would still be far better than corporations and especially monopolies or oligopolies trying to take our money. (I hope it’s clear that these organisations wouldn’t have to be like existing ones just operate similarly and I don’t care about it not counting as a non profit organisation in some existing government.)

• fah_Q@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      16 days ago

Libertarian definition 1.Conservatives who like to smoke weed.

• jaschen@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        16 days ago

Closer to Trump supports that smoke weed. I was once a conservative but the party shifted from my views to racialized Christians.

Now my political stance is closer to liberal.