Headline: Libertarians be like Picture of disugested women next to “Tyranny.gov” Picture of intressted women next to “Tyranny.com

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    15 days ago

Because Libertarians don’t care about people’s rights (in the modern US usage at least). For example, without government legalization of slavery would be the default since nothing is stopping it. Libertarianism would say if you can afford to buy a person, and they ended up in slavery because they weren’t good enough or whatever, then it’s fair that you should be able to purchase them.

Libertarianism is the philosophy of Ayn Rand. They’re the people who want to remove government so they can fuck children and exploit people. They don’t want liberty. They want authority, but by rich people not voters.

What you are talking about is Anarchism. Government shouldn’t be telling people how to live their lives but should provide protections and assistance to allow them to live the best they can.

• megabat@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      15 days ago

I don’t agree with the assessment on slavery because in that system nobody would have the authority to sell another person in the first place. Although I suppose you could sell yourself and have indentured servitude.

Edit and I guess I’m going to get all “no true scottsman” over here and say a libertarian that doesn’t believe in liberty and freedom isn’t a libertarian at all. But thanks for explaining it a bit.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        15 days ago

I don’t agree with the assessment on slavery because in that system nobody would have the authority to sell another person in the first place. Although I suppose you could sell yourself and have indentured servitude.

The issue is that, without protections, do people really get a choice? If all land is owned by the owner class and you need food, water, and shelter for you and your family to survive, and there is authority ensuring you can’t make use of things you don’t own, what choice do you have? You can die or you can work for the owners.

It’s really not that different to today (what many will call wage slavery), except without protections they’ll force you to sign a contract ensuring you can’t work anywhere else without their permission. Without competition, they can force you to do whatever they want. You will “willingly” sign away your right to bodily autonomy because they won’t give you necessities unless you do.

Edit and I guess I’m going to get all “no true scottsman” over here and say a libertarian that doesn’t believe in liberty and freedom isn’t a libertarian at all. But thanks for explaining it a bit.

They believe in certain liberties and freedoms. You can’t believe in all of them because some are exclusive. Do you have the liberty to own slaves or does someone else have the liberty to never be owned? Do you have the liberty to rape a minor or do they have liberty to not have them happen to them?

The name sounds great. However, liberty for some comes at the cost of liberty for others. If someone has the liberty to have authority of others, they’re depriving those others of their own liberty.