link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    17 days ago

I’m 6’0 245lbs - not obese mind you…

Technically obese. You’d have to lose 25 lbs to not be obese.

Of course Obesity is defined by BMI, and BMI is probably not as good as BRI and you might be closer to healthy by waist circumference. However your weight is probably not as healthy as you might think it is.

• coaxil@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      17 days ago

I’m assuming he is some kind of weight training person, and given the squat from another post, strength athlete. Dude is most likely pretty jacked, not fat

• jj4211@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        16 days ago

Strong is not mutually exclusive with fat.

I have a friend who made ability to lift heavy stuff basically his whole identity. Correlated with that was at any gathering he made a big show of eating just way more than everyone else because he’s a “big guy” and his muscles demand that much. So long as he could lift, obviously he must be fit, he works out after all. Basically his concept of masculinity is lift the heaviest stuff and eat the most stuff.

Now he’s struggling with diabetes and liver problems, despite being crazy strong. Never did cardio, and ate way more than he needed.

Yes, BMI can be misleading and being a bit muscular can have a higher BMI and be healthier than BMI says, but odds are if you are up in the obese territory, you probably are packing a lot of visceral fat screwing up your gut.

• StaySquared@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          16 days ago

So I’m not strictly a powerlifter. My first 15 years of gym training was for the sake of size (bodybuilding), once I reached a certain size I decided to move onto powerlifting for the sake of strength. However, in order to maintain my size I mix both powerlifting with bodybuilding, or what we call, “powerbuilding”. After two years of strict powerlifting, I noticed smaller muscle groups were getting outshined by other muscle groups and it was causing not just visual imbalances / asymmetry but also strength and stability imbalances (the heavier the weight the more strength you need in all working muscles and these muscles also need to keep me stabilized throughout the movement) which was impacting my bench press for example.

So at best, I can promise you, I’m not obese. Obese for me would be entering about 25% BF, which would push my weight to around 270lbs if not a little more than that.

• coaxil@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        17 days ago

Haha, as I mentioned elsewhere, my assumption was you are jacked, not fat?

• StaySquared@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          16 days ago

I sit at about 13% bodyfat at this weight, per DEXA scan. At 230lbs, I sit at the lower end of 9% bodyfat. Or at least that’s what it was last year. Once a year I lean out then get a DEXA scan done to compare percentages of bodyfat vs muscle mass, this gives me an idea, on paper, if my muscle mass has increased or not.