Hey, I wanna know your preferred laptops, used is better and to run Linux on it. Something with at least 16gb and 512 SSD is good. Budget range. Thank you!

• 𝘋𝘪𝘳𝘬@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    17 days ago

If you’re on a small budget, look for older ThinkPad laptops, you can get them for good prices and in good condition and Linux works very well on them.

For mid-range try to find an older Dell XPS 13, they sold those as certified Linux devices nicknamed “Developer Edition” and with an Ubuntu LTS version preinstalled. I have one of those and I run Arch on it. It runs perfectly fine. Also: superb build quality! It’s a very great device.

• Fonzie!@ttrpg.network
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 days ago

And decently easy to repair / have repaired at a computer shop, wether its the battery, RAM, CPU, keyboard, screen, or any and I mean ANY of the external connectors!

• gnuhaut@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        17 days ago

Not all Thinkpads work equally well. For the best experience, get an all-Intel one, from one of the more expensive business lines, like the T-series. Consumer models are definitely worse, because employees of big Linux-using tech firms are getting the pro models.

• gnuhaut@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            17 days ago

I haven’t kept up with all the various lines they’re up to now, but that looks about right. Also obviously doesn’t hurt to google the exact model. Someone I know got an old tabletty Thinkpad with a touchscreen (don’t know what model) and on that one the webcam doesn’t work on Linux, so something like that can happen.

• sping@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          17 days ago

What problems with AMD Ryzen? I’ve been happy with them, except one that had excessive power drain on suspend.

• gnuhaut@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            17 days ago

Maybe it’s fine with now, but I looked into a Ryzen Thinkpad a couple of years ago and Linux users reported problems with something (maybe power management?).

• MalReynolds@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        17 days ago

Also note that Thinkpads up to a couple of years ago (when soldering RAM became a thing) are mostly trivial to open and upgrade RAM / drives, so you don’t have to care about those and can pick up a bargain (look to T480 at the moment (not the TN screen tho), or whatever is 3 years or so old, as that’s the corporate fleets that are getting dumped onto the market).