Hi everyone :).

Just getting started with Manjaro as daily drive to get some easier arched based distro. Except for the LVM bug with calamares everything is pretty smooth :).

But at first boot, I saw they have added their personal Manjaro logo on boot and I directly though of the bug exploit logoFAIL I heard a few month ago and It made me curious if this is something that could be exploitable by Manjaro.

Probably not, this would harm their image and hard worked system, but I’m still curious… If someone smarter/more knowledgeable than me could chime in and give some valuable information on this topic regarding Manjaro, I would really appreciate it !

Thank you !

• N0x0n@lemmy.mlOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    14 days ago

Thank you very much for your throughout and explanatory response !!! <3 I also read all the comments and I know what I will be doing !

While I did like the well build defaults, I didn’t liked how they added their logo on boot up, even if it has nothing to do with logoFAIL exploit, It felt wrong (or does every distro does that?). Also the fact they added their own bookmarks in my freshly installed Firefox left me a bit skeptical… :/

There’s probably nothing to be alarmed off but That doesn’t feel right… If they do that, what else could they add hidden in the distro normal people can’t see ?

If I may ask, do you have any good distro you would recommend? Something as bare bone as possible, as good as debian but a bit more up to date. I do not fear some tinkering with a new distro but Arch is a bit to much of a hassle right now… That’s why I chose Manjaro.

My second pick was EndeavourOS as daily drive, but the community is small compared to manjaro and it’s relatively new in the game. Any thoughts?

Thank you !!

• sorrybookbroke@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      14 days ago

Sorry I’m a bit late, and it seems you’ve chosen endeavor (good choice), but I’ll still give you some suggestions.

First off on endeavor, it’s essentially just a graphical, easier arch installer so if you’re having issues and can’t find anything endeavour specific anything arch linux will work the same. The arch wiki os a great resource for anything.

Secondarily, I can suggest opensuse tumbleweed, or fedora. Both are more stable while being very up to date. Arch, and endeavor, will usually be the first distro to see an issue that misses testing. These two distros are just a bit behind arch but still very quick to update. Tumbleweed is also pretty bare bones too, after I installed everything I needed for a normal work instal it was about 6.7gb. Great distro, terrible logo.

To finish off I am sorry about manjaro. It does look great, it’s got a nice color scheme, and plasma by default is wonderful to see. That can be gotten pretty easily on any distro though. When you install endeavour you can select kde plasma. It’s also default on tumbleweed, and you can get a plasma spin for fedora.

Wish you the best in your journey, I’m sorry it’s off to a bit of a rough start