• ebu@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    15 days ago

you might know what “monotonic” means if you had googled it, which would also give you the answer to your question

edit: this was far too harsh of a reply in retrospect, apologies. the question is answered below, but i’ll echo it: a “monotonic UUID” is one that numerically increases as new UUIDs are generated. this has an advantage when writing new UUIDs to indexed database columns, since most database index structures are more efficient when inserting at the end than at a random point (non-monotonic UUID’s).

• Imacat@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      15 days ago

I’ve more of a math background than cs so monotonic is a word I know well but it apparently means something slightly different to me. Monotonicity isn’t mentioned anywhere in that link.

• deborah@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        15 days ago

okay, for some reason, I feel the need to help.

The given link defines the function that creates a UUID:

uuid.uuid4(): Generate a random UUID.

In mathematics, can you generate a monotonic function by generating random numbers?

• Imacat@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          15 days ago

Thanks for trying to explain it. I was hung up on thinking all UUIDs looked like UUID v4. I read up a little on UUID v7 and it’s making sense. Probably should’ve done that sooner.

• ebu@awful.systems
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          15 days ago

you are probably a better person than i am for actually giving an explanation