link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    16 days ago

“Oh, no, I’m not in any of those groups on the track, so I can safely not vote and have a clear conscience as it crushes everyone!”

Then they came for me…

• pachrist@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      16 days ago

What a sad misunderstanding of a quote literally describing state enforced genocide. I mean, this is how it starts. Both sides would kill Palestinians. Can’t do anything about it I guess. Oh well, best not put my foot down and take a principled stand here.

Who’s next?

• samus12345@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        16 days ago

You think that Republicans wouldn’t support genocide against anyone they consider to be their enemy?

• pachrist@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          16 days ago

I think that accepting that some groups, like Palestinians, will just be oppressed no matter what is what leads to things like the Holocaust. Saying you can’t afford to take a stand on your principles today and draw a line in the sand, but maybe you will tomorrow leads to the situation Martin Niemoller found himself in. It may be too late already, and making a stand won’t make a difference, but it’s never too early.

• Passerby6497@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            16 days ago

And what happens when a significant chunk of the electorate does that? I bet all those poor Palestinians will really feel good about Israel being given the green light to bomb them harder because a bunch of people protested and got a dementia riddled fascist elected.

These posts are just virtue signalling, because there’s never any forethought of what happens after the election to the people being discussed. You can speak from a place of privilege and moralize about the choice you’re making, but you’re pushing the same tactics that the republicans and alt-right push: don’t vote democrat.

I don’t like that I have to vote for Biden, but I actually want to minimize the harm being done to people, not just talk about it on the internet. Crazy concept.

• Leate_Wonceslace@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              16 days ago

These don’t-vote-for-Biden weirdos don’t understand that it’s wrong to use the idea of a minority to push your political interests in a way that hurts that minority.

• Natanael@slrpnk.net
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                15 days ago

But don’t you see that only ultrapurism and perfection is permissible, everything sense means we might as well nuke the planet into oblivion because there’s zero difference between mostly good with some issues and extreme dystopia

• pachrist@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              15 days ago

If a significant portion of the electorate did that, Biden would be on the phone this minute applying all possible pressure to stop what is happening. Instead they are playing chicken with your vote. Children died today and every day for the past 8 months because a political party is betting that you’ll vote for them anyways.

Again, the original issue I raised is that it’s cruel to quote a man lamenting the fact that he and others like him didn’t do enough soon enough to stop the Holocaust. That same behavior is happening right now. But it’s fine. We just have to accept it. A few losses for the greater good. I’d bet you don’t have any Palestinian friends, but if you do, please let them know I’m the one who’s privileged and see what they say.

• Dkarma@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                15 days ago

With all the different issues domestically if you think Palestine even moves the needle for most of the electorate you’re kidding yourself.

News flash buddy. 60% or more of this country actually supports Israel here. I don’t but you seem to think aipac is 1. Small and 2. The only pro Israel lobby.

• Passerby6497@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                15 days ago

If a significant portion of the electorate did that, Biden would be on the phone this minute applying all possible pressure to stop what is happening.

Lol, do you even know how elections work? If a significant portion of the electorate voted 3rd party like you advocate, trump would be president elect and all the pressure Biden could muster is worthless without going full J6.

Instead they are playing chicken with your vote.

And here you play chicken with their lives by pushing tactics that will get republicans elected because that’s how FPTP electoral politics work.

Again, the original issue I raised is that it’s cruel to quote a man lamenting the fact that he and others like him didn’t do enough soon enough to stop the Holocaust. That same behavior is happening right now.

If you’re talking about the election, voting 3rd party is just you feeling good about doing nothing while actively sabotaging the cause you profess to support.

Also, how cruel is it to profess to care about the plight of those suffering while advocating tactics that will only increase suffering? Because that’s what you’re doing, and it’s insane how people do that and pretend they’re on the right side.

I’d bet you don’t have any Palestinian friends, but if you do, please let them know I’m the one who’s privileged and see what they say.

That you are privileged and your tactics are actually harming the cause? You’re not suffering the result of whomever gets into office, so you don’t have to care about how hard they get bombed while you sit in safety and virtue signal about how moral you are while allowing those into power who want to finish the job.

But hey, I’m not the one who is advocating tactics that will objectively make their lives worse, so I guess I’m just some stooge because I actually understand how electoral politics works.