• 📛Maven@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    14 days ago

it’s also a great win for AMD, in general, to provide the hardware behind the two biggest consoles on the market for two consecutive (and a third upcoming) console generations.

Doesn’t the Switch have as much market share as the other two combined?

• 📛Maven@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        13 days ago

How can the switch be a different console from last gen, current gen, and next gen? Those are literally the only generations it could be considered part of.

• 📛Maven@lemmy.sdf.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 days ago

Setting aside that the industry professionals definitely count it as current gen for sales metrics, that’s fuckin, irrelevant when the statement is about all three of last gen, current gen, and next gen. Whichever one you want to call the Switch part of, it’s the best selling console of that generation, so the statement that AMD sold chips the best selling console of that generation is false. Unless you want to make the claim the Switch is from 2006, they are incorrect.

• Aatube@kbin.melroy.org
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 days ago

oh okay, i see what you meant now. but:

• switch sold 125 million by march 2023
              • ps4 and xbox one sold 117 + 58 million by september 2023
              • wii u, which had amd gpu, also sold 13.5 million by its discontinuation

amd did win, it seems

• NoIWontPickAName@kbin.earth
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      14 days ago

Does it count as a console?

I really don’t know, I guess you could say handheld gaming console, but consoles have to hook up to something.

I’ve always heard it as consoles are static and portables are called handheld gaming systems