• RBG
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        13 days ago

The kind of super secret gay that only super closeted gays could achieve.

• Zier@fedia.io
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          13 days ago

Funny how the straight white christian men rail against ‘the gays’ but constantly do stuff like this that seems Ultra Gay!! Even gay people are not this gay!

• timduncant@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    13 days ago

What up? We’re three cool guys who are looking for other cool guys who want to hang out in our party mansion. Nothing sexual.

• griD@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    12 days ago

“Let the other societies take the skilled, the hopefuls, the ambitious, the self-confident. He’d take the whining resentful ones, the ones with a bellyful of spite and bile, the ones who knew they could make it big if only they’d been given the chance. Give him the ones in which the floods of venom and vindictiveness were dammed up behind thin walls of ineptitude and lowgrade paranoia. And stupidity, too. They’ve all sworn the oath, he thought, but not a man jack of ’em has even asked what a figgin is.”

GNU TPratchett.
    He certainly knew what’s up!

• KingJalopy @lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    13 days ago

Secret society?

“TPM was able to reveal the inner workings of the Society for American Civic Renewal in March using emails and documents largely obtained via public records”

More like, it’s not a secret but no one was looking into at all… This is why this country is fucked. We’re all too tired and broke to worry about looking into anything except our hobbies and leisure. Which it leaves to “real journalists” who then create articles with headlines like this lol. Even after we read it, no one will care.

I’m not doing anything to help here, but I’m too broke and tired and a new series just dropped plus I wanna get drunk and go to sleep.

You’re welcome.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      12 days ago

Eh. The Freemasons and Skull and Bones are called secret societies but everyone knows what they do as well.

In the case of the Freemasons, for literal centuries. They’re the most unsecret secret society ever… which is fine, because it’s a lot of stupid ceremonies for what’s basically just an excuse to get together and plan other activities. They’re harmless. They’re the guys who wear fezes and ride little motorcycles in parades throwing candy.

They’re still supposedly a secret society though.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    12 days ago

The thing that amuses me about a ‘secret’ society like this is that they are entirely made up of people whose political positions are worn on their red hats- and their cars- and their lawns- etc.

Everyone knows the “secrets” they’re getting up to. The “secret” is that they expect Trump to win and then to implement the very public Project 2025 that Republicans are making no secret about. Beyond that, it’s just standard Christian dominionism.

Basically the only secrets they have left to them are the same secrets the Freemasons have- whatever silly rituals they perform before getting down to business.

(Not trying to associate these guys with Freemasons otherwise, the Freemasons I’ve known over the years have been decent sorts.)

• masquenox@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 days ago

The thing that amuses me about a ‘secret’ society like this is that they are entirely made up of people whose political positions are worn on their red hats- and their cars- and their lawns- etc.

It’s not so much secrecy as just plausible deniability - the same way we know nine out of every ten old white guys in the US political establishment are white supremacists but are given the benefit of the doubt by the media because they don’t use the n-word in public.

• r00ty@kbin.life
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    12 days ago

I started watching this TV series, with the girl from the west wing in. But didn’t get that much into it.

• TheBigBrother@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    13 days ago

The funny part, not to say spooky, about all this, is that generally these organizations are more successful than leftist organizations because they are generally better organized instead of everyone having their own “reality” and wanting to impose their ideas on others.

The pre-existing acceptance of a collective reality definitely simplifies the process of action and organization.

• blindbunny@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 days ago

Except they’re “collective reality” isn’t factual to any degree. When I organize with people it’s expected that we’re both observing eachother as working class equals and that were organizing for every other working class person in the country.

• TheBigBrother@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        13 days ago

Yeah I mean they are not interested in being “working class equals” they are more interested in fuck to the “working class equals” and it’s when having an unreal collective reality it’s more efficient than people trying to convince other people to get organized.