As per my last two posts, I’ve been working on Clovers. I’ve been successful in breeding the 64 Leaf Clover and wanted to share all my findings:

Clovers affect the strange rate and the farming speed.

The strange rate determines how many strange crops you harvest (these give 5x the revenue). The default is 0.15% (so very low) and gradually increases the more clovers you plant. The farming speed determines how fast your crops grow. The default is 100% and decreases the more clovers you plant.

I’ve calculated the efficiency for each type of clover and put it into a few tables below:

(note: the Efficiency is over 100 for 0 Clovers because I’m defining 100 as normal growth time but only regular carrots. Also, the values seem to be different depending on what patch you play, but I’ll update this if I see anything change. The formula for the Efficiency is the following: ( 1 + strange_rate * 4.0 ) * farm_speed, where all values are absolute, not in percent, so the strange_rate for 2 clovers would be 0.0039 for example)

Baseline: 
Clovers  Strange  Speed  Efficiency
0        0.15     100    100.60

4-Leaf-Clovers:
1        0.30     99.95  101.15
2        0.39     99.61  101.16
3        0.45     98.70  100.48
4        0.50     96.97   98.91
[...]

16-Leaf-Clovers:
1        0.76     99.95  102.99
2        0.91     99.61  103.24
3        0.99     98.70  102.61
4        1.05     96.97  101.04
[...]

64-Leaf-Clovers:
1        1.35     99.95  105.35
2        1.50     99.61  105.59
3        1.59     98.70  104.98
4        1.65     96.97  103.37
[...]

As you can see, no matter which type of clover you place, the ideal amount is 2 clovers and it drops slowly after that. I’ve tested this with numbers much higher than 4 clovers, but believe me, the more you place the faster it gets worse.

Clovers have an animation when placing them in a straight line (or diagnoal, if you take the grid as orientation). This signals that they are breeding. You can breed 4-leaf-clovers to get 16-leaf-clovers and breed those to get 64-leaf-clovers. I don’t know for sure about the likelyhood of getting ne ‘next higher’ clover, but just placing whatever clovers you have and hoping for the best worked for me.

Overall I find the clovers an interesting addition, but they are barely worth investing time into. It takes ages to get and then breed them. While breeding them, you’ll likely have many placed down and will therefore harm your farm yields. And the long term effects are only about 5 percent extra (efficiency 100.60 vs 105.59), far less than every other farming equipment provides. If going for max efficiency, you’ll have to get them, but if you are more casual, just watch out that you don’t place any more than two.

TL;DR: Clovers increase farming efficiency. The more leaves, the better, but regardless of type, place exactly 2 for best results, any more can harm your yield. You can buy 4 leaf clovers at Rosemary (they are rare) and then breed clovers by placing 2 or more in a straight line (or diagonally if you look at the building grid). Sometimes the breed clovers will have more leaves. They are barely worth it (only about 5% yield increase).

• xxdOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    12 days ago

Minor addition to this: when you have 2 clovers in your field (aka the ideal amount) it’s beneficial to have them in a breeding-pattern. Whenever they breed, just sell the new Clover for profit! This will only happen occasionally, so it isn’t a huge bonus, but the 64 leaf clover pays 12500, so a respectable sum.

An ideal end-game strategy might even be to fill your whole field with 64 leaf clovers and just sell whatever offspring they produce. I don’t have the numbers to proof if this is more or less profitable than harvesting an optimized field, but the less time you spend in game the more profitable it should be.

Clovers breed randomly regardless of the game running as far as I could tell, whereas crops need to be harvested every few hours to generate carrots. So if you only play the game every weekend, Placing the farm full of 64 leaf clovers should definitely be the strat. But getting all these clovers is another story…