Hello lovely people,

I was wondering on how yall learned to drive. I have been struggling with it and been getting quite discouraged. It seems all so overwhelming. I also feel pressure since the car I drive was a gift from a family member that I don’t wanna disappoint. Im 20 and I feel like if I don’t learn this I’ll never be able to get any further in life

• Ryan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Cars & I don’t get along…at all. I started learning to drive when I was 15, couldn’t get my license until I was almost 20 because of repeated test failures.

Every single car I’ve owned died from either a major accident (most likely due to sensory overwhelm), or mechanical neglect. The last time I stepped behind the wheel of a car was at least 8 years ago. I’ve been using mostly public transit & occasionally Lyft/Uber.

I don’t regret my decision to give-up driving, the amount of anxiety & what-not has dropped tremendously. You could liquidate & offer me all of Elon Musk’s & Jeff Bezos’ assets, and it would not be enough to get me to drive again.

• W_Dräger 🦉@toot.lgbt
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

@kerneltux @Sentinian This so much. I would gladly skip the fortune too. I started trying driving at 19, tried numerous times and am just now at almost 35 getting behind the wheel again. It absolutely terrifies me. The sensory overwhelm is the worst.

• Sentinian@lemmy.oneOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Perhaps this may be the best choice for me. I definitely have pressure from family and peers to learn however so its stressful either way, but I would rather stress then physical danger