• Ptsf@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 days ago

Firefox has absolutely destroyed the battery of most mobile devices I’ve tried it with. Any ideas on fixes to get it at least to parity with chrome? In-use power metrics seem fine, but if I let it sit Chrome will allow the system to go into low power/sleep while firefox tends to just keep things running somehow? (Not sure why there’s down votes here… I use Firefox by default whenever I’m on desktop and this is a real issue I experience on my mobile systems (M1 pro mac, Intel/Windows laptop, M1 iPad pro, and amd/Linux (steamdeck)). I’m also genuinely interested in solution recommendations… Like I get you love Mozilla and firefox, I do too, but I can’t substitute one for the other when it causes a significant shift in my device use paradigm.) (For the continued down votes, 1. You’re the reason people don’t want to use software you like 2. I’ve tested this on my machines and it’s very real, only occurring when firefox is running and not related to system settings).

• Ptsf@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 days ago

Yeah, I tend to use a mix. Safari for the Apple devices since it gets first class citizenship seemingly, then Firefox on anything stationary, and then Chromium on mobile.

• GenderNeutralBro@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 days ago

Is it possible this is site-specific? The only issue I’ve had with Firefox on my MacBook was leaving pinned tabs open on pages that dynamically refreshed. Gmail, for example, would eat up memory over time. So I killed that pinned tab and I haven’t had issues since. I still have Discord pinned without issue.

On iPad…I dunno, Firefox on iPad is a hard sell without extension support so I haven’t used it much. I’ve been trying Orion lately, since it has a built-in ad blocker and is otherwise very similar to Safari in terms of performance and functionality.

I only run Linux on desktop so I’m not sure about battery life there. Is Firefox actually blocking sleep? I think Steam Deck runs a version of KDE, so perhaps you can use the kde-inhibit command to list and control blocks.

• Ptsf@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 days ago

I honestly have no idea. I assume it’s some issue with background processing or something at an engine level. Nothing Chromium or webkit based seems to suffer the same issues, but perhaps it’s just an issue with my Firefox account or an extension that doesn’t behave properly with the browser. 😓

• AustralianSimon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 days ago

People on here are rabid over ff.

I use it and brave but mostly use brave because ff on mobile indeed performs poor in my usage.

But don’t worry plenty of people will give you the Apple solution to their antenna problems about their favourite browser.