• Pips@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 days ago

Sort of like how you pay over and over for gas, without which your car doesn’t work?

• Pips@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 days ago

I don’t see anywhere that you can’t also just buy a battery and charge it yourself if you’d prefer that over a subscription.

• umami_wasabi@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          9 days ago

Which the manufacture will either set a high price or simply not offer it. We had this in software (Adobe), and movies/TV shows (Netflix). Companies prefer continuous steady streams of revenue over burst because the numbers will look better for the investors, and easy to show them the solid future of the company.

I won’t be in the “Owns nothing and be happy” camp. Or honestly, rarely have things I do not own.

• umami_wasabi@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 days ago

But for gas you don’t need to worry ownership problem as you can’t reuse gas. Once it is burnt, it’s gone.

Batteries are different because you can recharge it, which brings ownership problem into sight. And unlike gas tank for your grill, which the port is somewhat universal and shape doesn’t matter too much. Car batteries have wear level that affects performamce (range) and are likely designed to fit a car/platform. It isn’t that interchangeable.