McDonald’s is removing artificial intelligence (AI) powered ordering technology from its drive-through restaurants in the US, after customers shared its comical mishaps online.

A trial of the system, which was developed by IBM and uses voice recognition software to process orders, was announced in 2019.

It has not proved entirely reliable, however, resulting in viral videos of bizarre misinterpreted orders ranging from bacon-topped ice cream to hundreds of dollars’ worth of chicken nuggets.

• dual_sport_dork@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 days ago

Apparently they don’t need him because Ronald was fired… Er, “retired,” in 2016.

The final vestige of the clown that I know of was his silhouette being used in the “throw this into a trash can and not on the damn ground” message on the bottom of their paper bags, but even that seems to be gone now.

• CosmoNova@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 days ago

That‘s what I was getting at actually. They rebranded when clown attacks went viral on the internet. The new image of the company and their now (in)famous jingle „I‘m lovin‘ it!“ was supposed to only launch in Germany for McCafés but promptly went global when they really needed a rebrand quick.

• Lost_My_Mind@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 days ago

The McDonalds managers are nothing like Ronald McDonald. Ronald brings people smiles. Mcdonalds managers bring people sadness.