• Etterra@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 days ago

Of course not. It lets their office or even corporate computers change the prices in real time whenever they feel like it. Hypothetically, you could pick something off a shelf where the digital signset $3, and by the time you walked it up to a register, it cost $4. It’s like changing the price of something in a shop simulation video game after the customer has picked it up, and now they have to pay $9,999.99 for a bag of potato chips.

• chaospatterns@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 days ago

That would be illegal. I worked on the software deployment of these devices in a store. If we increased the price, we’d automatically give the customer the lowest price in the last several hours.

The other problem was they were extremely low powered and low bandwidth and it would have killed the battery to update more than a few times a day.

• Monument@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 days ago

So you’re saying there’s going to be a big influx of cash into small battery research and improving efficiency for tiny screens/low power WiFi?

• ThePrivacyPolicy@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 days ago

And my country has price laws where tagged prices have to be honoured (I forget all the technicalities of the policy) - so if something scans up wrong, what stops the employee at service from changing the shelf price to reflect the wrong one while another employee walks over to verify with me? It would need a nefarious intent, which most minimum wage shop employees could care less about, but it’s a theoretical that could happen, especially on higher price items.