Despite how hot it is, landlords in Tennessee are not required to keep the air conditioning running.

In our changing climate, that probably comes as a surprise.

However, unless it’s in the lease, nothing in Tennessee’s Landlord-Tenant Act gives renters the right to air conditioning.

“I think it’s unfair. It’s inhumane to me because without air we can’t live and breathe,” said Anita Brown.

• jake_jake_jake_@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 days ago

i absolutely agree, my point is less that there are or are not health concerns, just that it is currently not a requirement, at least anywhere I have lived. i believe it should be, but I know that the south passing legislation that helps vulnerable people at the expense of those who own property is probably never going to happen. i just felt like it was odd that the article was stating that there is no law in the state, without emphasizing that most states do not either.

• SzethFriendOfNimi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 days ago

Some areas have basic consumer protection. Such as a habitation must be fit to live in.

Renting out an apartment with 2 feet of water in it all times, or black mold, or no water or front door is often covered by specific legislation and then, if not, then by the consumer protection statutes.

Which may be the approach some lawyers will have to take if this gets bad enough.

“I can live in my apartment except for 5 weeks where I have to go someplace else” is what we may start seeing in future civil actions.

• AA5B@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 days ago

Even if people argue it’s fit to live in, it should be covered by consumer protections as you paid for it, so you should get it, unless the contract specifically calls it out as not working