This is a genuine question, as every time I have an argument about this with someone they bring a point so utterly stupid that it leaves me stumped…

• Brainsploosh@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I’m starting to think that the correct way to address these types of things is with a simple, possibly even loving, “that’s the dumbest thing I’ve heard”.

A lot of poorly reasoned opinions and ideas come from socially validated sources, they parrot the opinions of people they identify with. Showing that you won’t agree to get along, might work as a counter both to their spewing the shit as well as maybe letting them question why they hold that belief.

Might also make them stop coming to you with these types of opinions, which may or may not be what you want.

• gamermanh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Works quite well in person unless the person is literally beyond logic and saving

It’s really hard for people to completely deny close friends with hard evidence in person (usually saying your line results in them asking why and then you can search stuff up on your phone or something), much easier with the distance of social media