The Israeli military says its Northern Command has approved operational plans for war with Lebanon.

Israel is ready for an “all-out war” in Lebanon and has plans approved for an offensive targeting Hezbollah, officials have said.

Israel and Hezbollah have been engaged in border fighting since shortly after the start of the war on Gaza, following the October 7 attacks on Israel. The confrontation is increasingly expanding, with both sides saying they are ready to go to war.

More than 400 people have been killed in Lebanon, including journalists and paramedics, over the past eight months, with 25 deaths in Israel. At least 90,000 people have been displaced in Lebanon, and more than 60,000 have been forced from their homes in northern Israel.

• rdri@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 days ago

As I said before, there is no line. You can’t assume some regime fell into the other side after a short time. These things develop for years. Or could you try to classify the US regime? Surely it’s not a democracy when people can only choose between 2.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 days ago

At this point it’s clear that the reason you can’t tell me what form of government Israel has is because you know it’s a dictatorship and you can’t think of a way to admit that while also maintaining that it isn’t one.

Also, the U.S. is a constitutional republic, not a democracy. Classified and done.

• rdri@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 days ago

As you wish, I don’t care. The original comment claimed it to be a dictatorship, it’s up to them to provide evidence. They failed.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 days ago

You not accepting the evidence does not mean it was not provided.

You not being able to say what form of government Israel is if it is not a dictatorship is good enough evidence for me that you have no argument against the claim.

Either it is a dictatorship or it has a different form of government. You can’t say what it is. Your challenge on defining the American government (again, constitutional republic) as if that wasn’t possible was quite amusing though.

Forms of government is something my 14-year-old daughter learned in school last semester, so I would think you would be old enough to have been taught what they were. Apparently not.

• rdri@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              5 days ago

Your thinking what you provided is an evidence doesn’t mean it was it. But by all means, go on.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                5 days ago

Go on with what? You cannot tell me the type of government Israel has. I answered your challenge about the U.S. government easily.

All you are telling me is you lack a middle schooler’s understanding of government.

• FluminaInMaria@mander.xyz
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  5 days ago

I don’t want to get dragged into a petty squabble but it must be said that there’s an enormous gulf between having an in-depth, contextual understanding of something as complex as governance/governmental structures; and simply being able to repeat a few top-line sound bites that encompass the general idea of any given subject taught to kids over a few Thursday afternoons.

An average kid won’t have any meaningful interest in the majority of subjects they are introduced to at school. They might find it interesting in the moment, but they’re not going to win many followers if asked to debate on anything with such a shallow introduction to a subject.

My knowledge of Israeli politics is not sufficient to join either side of your disagreement on this thread, though I have heard a couple of conflicting political commentators in agreement that the current state of affairs is not the result of a Netanyahu policy which is in isolation/contrary to the entirety of the rest of Israeli government.

I just found the comment about high school kids understanding the subject to be a bit triggering and unhelpful.

It’s nigh on impossible to know what media and/or commentators to believe. It is an unnerving time. The Hezbollah situation isn’t something that has just come out of nowhere, and the way it’s generally communicated by a lot of media outlets is unhelpful in it’s failure to scratch the surface, leaving readers in a state of helpless panic and fear. There’s a lot of very well informed opinion on the subject out there and it wouldn’t take much for journalists to at least link to some of it; be it books, past journalism, and commentators from all sides actually directly involved in the conflict. Instead we mainly get disjointed daily updates fanning the fear among readers who don’t have enough of an understanding.

We all spend far too much of our spare time as individuals, picking our phones up and doomscrolling. Whether the subject is climate, farming, the economy, health, sustainability, local/national governance, activism, education, neo-liberalism, you name it; rather than reacting to media headlines posted in our echo chambers on a daily basis, proclaiming our despair in disjointed comments sections that get buried every 24 hours: we need to find new ways to engage.

To truly understand a given situation it can take a lifetime of learning about it, yet we bicker between ourselves like we’re the leading authority on the subject. We have the technology available to us, to unite en masse in support of positive changes but we have no leaders. We’re bombarded with information and we all have our three-month-old, one-sided take on what’s going on. There’s got to be a better way.

I’m willing to go out on a limb and say that I’m not the only one who works so much of my time, that by the time I’ve eaten, slept and done basic chores; I’ve got maybe 1-2 hours a day after dark, plus Saturdays to “be myself”, or in my case; spend time with my wife. We don’t have kids and if we did, I can’t imagine how they would fit into my existing schedule. I feel worked to the bone, for little/no benefit to my own wellbeing. Being myself for an hour before bed each day is hardly what I would call having the freedom to disengage from the rat race and be productive for my own/my community’s gain.

It seems obvious to me that the way we live is the problem. There seems to be some very obvious solutions worth trying but we have no hope. We have our half an hour a day to comment online and that’s it.

And we’re the ones who have an opinion… There are hundreds of millions of people who the system have failed, and have no nourishment to their being at all, be that physical, mental, cultural, spiritual. There are entire blocks of society who just consume without conscience, completely disengaged from anything of merit. How do you tackle that?

We need to make small positive steps to communicate more thoughtfully, be less selfish; and consider ways that we can cooperate more both online and irl; as we’re not getting any help from our leaders any time soon.