• Grippler@feddit.dk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

What issues have you had? Ive been using orca for about a year without any issues all. I’m running Mint, both stable and beta branch have been without issues for me.

• neclimdul@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

Appimage doesn’t start because it relies on a system package that does exist anymore, dialogs with grey text on grey backgrounds in dark mode, stl repair not included…

Flatpak is in the works but honestly and hope that helps bit I get better prints out of prusaslicer for some reason so not holding my breath or anything.

• Grippler@feddit.dk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 days ago

Weird, I’m using the appimage and it starts just fine…what distro are you using?

• Damage@feddit.it
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              3 days ago

I run it on Nobara and Fedora, and I only have occasional graphic glitches with the windows

• Damage@feddit.it
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  2 days ago

Well I have chromium installed, I use it to segregate Google services to a dedicated browser

• neclimdul@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    2 days ago

Libwebkit isn’t actually chromium, it uses blink which is a fork of part of webkit. Understandable confusion though because webkit was part of kde, forked by safari, and then used by through chrome variants for a long time.

The rest of this comment is going to necessarily be nerdy Linux internals. sorry.

Unfortunately, I’m pretty sure chromium includes it inside it’s binary and does provide or use any webkit libraries.

Orca uses it internally for it’s browser so it won’t start unless it has access to the library. When you build a Linux app it includes the name of the library which includes the ABI (basically the version). Newer Linux release include a different version.

You can see how that specific library stops appearing in Ubuntu releases https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37

The new version is 6.0 I believe.

Appimage is one of the ways you get around this distro problem by including the versions of libraries. That’s why they’re so big. There are problems with that like how big the apps are stale bundled libraries with security issues but I digress.

Orca hasn’t bundled webkit in the appimage and because of another problem/feature of appimage it falls back on the os library. Since new distros have dropped the older obsolete library version orca can’t start.

That’s a lot but I hope it explains the problem better.

I would like to help but my personal computer doesn’t currently have enough memory to compile orca so back to just watching warning people it’s a coming problem for them too.