• borari@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 days ago

I don’t know where you live, if it’s in Europe maybe it’s different. In the US, I know many pro-choice people who have gone the circumcision route for the own kids. For those who don’t want or have kids, quite a few have said they prefer cut guys. It’s still very much a normalized societal thing in the US.

• loutr@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

Yeah, in Europe (or in France at least), if you’re circumcised you’re either Muslim, Jewish or had a medical issue.

• d00ery@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 days ago

I’m from the UK and can confirm It’s not standard here, perhaps in other parts of Europe (but not France.)

Edited to clarify that the United Kingdom has not physically moved location, nor has the continent of Europe been redefined (at least not that I’m aware of)

• d00ery@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              6 days ago

The previous post mentioned Europe and specifically France. I was just clarifying that it’s the same for the UK. 😁

• AbsentBird@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                6 days ago

I was just making a joke, since the UK left the EU even though a majority of Scotland and Northern Ireland voted to stay. Seems like the British are in denial about being part of Europe.

• areyouevenreal@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  5 days ago

The fact we are separated by the English channel confuses a lot of people I think. There are people who consider that we have a closer relationship to our ex-colonies than to the rest of Europe. Canada still recognizes the English monarchy for some reason for example.

• AbsentBird@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    5 days ago

I guess that makes sense. The channel is only 20-ish miles wide though, Madagascar is seperated by ten times as much water but nobody seems to get confused about whether it’s part of the African continent.

• greenskye@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

Yep, the US is still very much in the ‘most people (of all political ideologies) don’t even see it as an issue’ phase. Based on other political or cultural movements, I think we’re still decades away from it even being seen as a real issue to address by most of society. We’re maybe at a similar stage as the 50s were gay people?