• glad_cat@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago
    • Me: Ctrl+S, please save this file
    • Windows: Do you want to save it on SharepointOnedriveCloudthing?
    • Me: Put it in the local Downloads folder FFS
    • Windows: OMG it’s too hard!
      • WhiskyTangoFoxtrot@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

It’s amazing the hoops people will jump through to deal with Windows’ bullshit but the moment Linux presents the slightest obstacle they write it off as “too hard to use.”

• thepianistfroggollum@lemmynsfw.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

You say that like switching to Linux doesn’t require jumping through a bunch of hoops.

I run both, and Windows is by far the most user friendly (ignoring Apple since they easily win the UI/UX competition). I didn’t have to spend hours getting my gpu to work with Windows or to install on a RAID configuration.

Linux is great if you want to control your system, but most people don’t want to fuck with it.

• walkercricket@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I didn’t have to spend hours getting my GPU to work on Linux… What were you using exactly, as a distro and as a GPU? Not that I try to invalidate your experience, but afaik, if you have a AMD or Intel GPU, it should work out of the box and if you have an Nvidia GPU, any user friendly Linux distro that is optionally made for gaming have drivers preinstalled and can easily be updated through a GUI or a two words command so that you can directly play as soon as you installed the distro.

• Redkey@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

I kind of agree with you but there’s also the issue that when you have a problem with Windows, there are 30 people to tell you, “Here are the hoops, and here’s how to jump through them,” while on Linux there are often only 3-5 people, all telling you, “LOL wipe and replace your whole OS with the distro that I use because I don’t have that specific problem.”

• Trantarius@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I think it’s the other way around. I often find only one source (if any) for configuring windows, and it’s some registry edit that hasn’t worked for years. On linux, there will be a dozen people providing multiple ways of getting it done, most of which work.