• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 days ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

A Conservative parliamentary candidate and aide to Home Secretary James Cleverly has described the government’s flagship Rwanda immigration policy as “crap”.

James Sunderland, who was the MP for Bracknell from 2019 to 2024 and is running to represent the constituency again, was recorded expressing the view at a private event in April.

Mr Sunderland was speaking on 2 April at an event for Young Conservatives organised by a group called the True Blue Patrons Supper Club and titled: What’s it like behind the scenes at the Home Office.He is a parliamentary private secretary to Mr Cleverly and has previously worked for Suella Braverman.Mr Sunderland is heard to say: "I have been part of this for the last two years, and I’m immersed in it and I probably shouldn’t say too much.

Mr Anderson was previously a Conservative MP but in March defected to Reform UK, for whom he is standing again as a candidate.

"On Sunday, Mr Cleverly said his aide’s “opening words were clearly designed to shock and grab the attention of the audience”.He added that Mr Sunderland had gone on to argue that the Rwanda policy would deter people from crossing the English Channel in small boats.A Conservative spokesperson said: "Not everyone will like this policy, but having an effective deterrent is the only way to stop the boats.

"Labour’s Yvette Cooper, the shadow home secretary, said: “The Tories’ Rwanda scheme has been completely exposed as an extortionate and failing gimmick.

The original article contains 677 words, the summary contains 243 words. Saved 64%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!