• helenslunch@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 days ago

It’s not, at all. When you drive by a billboard on the highway, is it invading your privacy? There’s no reason there can’t be a digital equivalent.

• jjjalljs@ttrpg.network
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 days ago

That’s what I always say. Targeted advertising should be illegal. Contextual advertising is acceptable.

If I’m on the star trek wiki, serve me ads for star trek, sci-fi, and whatever. You don’t need to know anything about me specifically.

We’d still need to do something about like ads that take up too much space, hurt page performance, or introduce malware, but removing the stalking would be an improvement

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

Right, and something like Reddit makes targeted advertising SUPER easy, with zero personal information.

Want to know what kind of products I might be interested in? Literally just ask.

• ms.lane@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 days ago

When you drive by a billboard on the highway, is it invading your privacy?

Possibly?

Let me rephrase it a little- When you walk past a digital advertising screen at a Westfield Shopping Centre - is it invading your privacy? (The answer is a definite YES, they have facial tracking and keep metrics on where you go in the mall, how long you loiter in certain locations, what stores you go, whether you came back out with bags, etc)

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 days ago

Once again, that is an issue with implementation, and not an issue inherent in advertising in general.