• Lexam@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 days ago

Horses today yes. They are built incredibly efficient compared to yesterday’s horses. Better ligament material, lighter and stronger bones, not to mention the carbon muscle fibers.

• Artyom@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 days ago

This but unironically, horses are constantly being bred to be bigger. The reason people rode chariots in Greece is because horses were too small to ride horseback.

• nova_ad_vitum@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          5 days ago

Yeah one of the main causes of the downfall of chariot warfare in the ancient world was that horses were bred that could carry a fully armed rider with armour for a long enough period of time.

Disclaimer: I know very little about anything.

• Maggoty@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 days ago

I’m not so sure. There’s plenty of accounts of ancient warriors using ridden horses as transportation. It probably has more to do with a chariot being more compatible with horse/soldier training and soldier gear at the time. Riding a horse into battle takes a lot of unique training and gear, and camels were the better option for a lot of the latitude around North Africa/Middle East, where you had ancient empires with the ability to research technology.

The idea that horses had to embiggen, I think, comes from the Persians. They wanted the world’s first heavy cavalry and they certainly needed bigger horses for a fully armored rider. But light cavalry has evidence dating back to at least 5,000 B.C. thanks to the proto mongols. (Central Asian tribes before they were united)

• jumjummy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

Don’t forget about the gear all horses are on nowadays! You need to check the labels for All Natural hp.

• KillingTimeItself@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

Horses today yes. They are built incredibly efficient compared to yesterday’s horses. Better ligament material, lighter and stronger bones, not to mention the carbon muscle fibers.

and i thought horses used to be toeing the line between fucking exploding and run fast hee hee hoo hoo