Our garage flooded last night (not the first time) and so I want to install some water sensors in the garage and basement. There’s dumb ones that look similar to a smoke detector, but all they do is make noise, which I’m willing to bet I won’t hear since I can barely hear the smoke detector in the kitchen when I’m upstairs. thats why I want a smart system so it rings an alarm on my phone as well, though if there was something with like a repeater I could install upstairs that would work too. thanks all

• Grippler@feddit.dk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 days ago

If you want to do a little setup and config yourself, look in to home assistant and ZigBee sensors.

• mski@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

We’ve done this with Home Assistant (on a raspberry pi), and Zwave / ZigBee. Its been working great for years. Also allows for really customizable alerts for different things - and has been super stable.

Not very difficult to setup either - the interface is pretty polished these days!

• strawberry@kbin.runOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

dont wanna do any config. this is something I’m willing to ignore privacy for, just would be nice if I didn’t have to

• dohpaz42@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 days ago

I get where you’re coming from, but given the cost of equipment these days, it’s important to consider whether or not the zero-config big box brand stuff will be around long enough to be worth the cost. While it’s a PITA to spend your efforts setting this all up, doing it yourself using open protocols can be worth it in the long run. And 9 out of 10 times, when you do it yourself, you can just leave it alone and forget about it.

Edit: there is a good write-up between zigbee and matter, and for ease of use it looks like matter would be better for your use cases.

• Grippler@feddit.dk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 days ago

Fair enough, then I would probably go with something like the Shelly flood. All their stuff is ridiculously simple to setup and manage, some of it is even able to run without internet and only local WIFI.