The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office is seeking the public’s help identifying an alleged bike thief who, on Wednesday, shoplifted bolt cutters to steal a boy’s e-bike.

• lemmefixdat4u@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 days ago

Install a bike alarm inside the seat tube. They’re hard to defeat without tools. Mine alternately flashes bright blue and red light strips epoxied to the frame. In California, that’s a guaranteed police stop (blue lights are only allowed on law enforcement vehicles), plus it makes everyone look at the thief. There’s also a relay that shorts out the motor, making it a bitch to pedal. If that and the 120 dB alarm doesn’t stop them, 30 seconds later two metal strips under the seat fabric get powered from a 55 kV mosquito zapper circuit.

• SatyrSack@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

What triggers these anti-theft measures you have implemented? And how do you make sure that it is not triggered when you go to use it?

• lemmefixdat4u@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago

The bike alarm is triggered by motion. It’s a standard off-the-shelf seat tube bike alarm, armed/disarmed by a fob. My modification was to beef up the output power to operate the flashing lights, motor shorting relay, sonalert, and the time-delayed electric theft deterrent. I can’t be shocked unless I’m riding around for 30 seconds with lights flashing, alarm blasting, and the motor acting as a regenerative brake. That’s why there’s a time delay.

There’s also an Airtag in the seat, but I’d rather deter the thief than have to track down the bike.

• FartsWithAnAccent@fedia.ioOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 days ago

You seem like the sort of person that would use a Skunklock lol

Btw, we’d love to see your bike and a breakdown of how everything works - that sounds like a badass setup

• pedz@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

If it’s like a car alarm it does nothing but annoy the people around.