I know that the answer is yes, I should, but outlets near the setup are not grounded (even though they look like they are) and I don’t want to have wires running though my living room.

The real question is what are potential problems ? Occasional system reboots? Permanent damage to PSU? Permanent damage to other components?

• xyguy@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 days ago

You are correct that this is technically in code and would protect against shock hazards in a neutral error situation but you also get the opportunity for the outlet to pop during the day when nobody is home and the battery to die.

We had a situation in our old house where someone who was technically correct but didn’t think it through had a gfci outlet upstream of the refrigerator outlet. Thankfully it popped while someone was home and we got everything corrected before we lost everything in the fridge.

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 days ago

You food should expire that quickly. It would take at least a day or two.

Unless your gone for a while you would notice that the lights no longer on and it doesn’t feel as cold.

• Snot Flickerman@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 days ago

For sure, a fridge is a really bad one to be using on an actual ungrounded GFCI, exactly for the reason of risk of expired food.

I like my homeserver but if something trips and its offline for a while it’s not gonna ruin my day.

The battery can be recharged eventually unless it’s already be discharged many times or it’s left alone and dead long enough to kill any ability to recharge it.