• benzmacx16v
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 days ago

It doesn’t usually work that well in practice. I have been running an M1 MBA for the last couple years (asahi Arch and now Asahi Fedora spin). More complex pieces of software typically have build system and dependencies that are not compatible or just make hunting everything down a hassle.

That said there is a ton of software that is available for arm64 on Linux so it’s really not that bad of an experience. And there are usually alternatives available for software that cannot be found.

• arthurpizza@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 days ago

Long time Raspberry Pi user here, the only software I can’t load natively is Steam. What software are you having problem with on the M1?

• Daeraxa@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 days ago

Electron apps using older versions that don’t support the 16k page size are probably the biggest offenders

• Daeraxa@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 days ago

I can’t say I’m one who shares that sentiment seeing as the only two projects I’m involved with happen to be Electron based (by chance rather than intention). Hell, one of them is Pulsar which is a continuation of Atom which literally invented Electron.