We don’t know exactly why VR studios are (almost) giving away their games. But one reason is obvious: they hope to get more visibility on social media and on the Quest Store.

• fer0n@lemmy.worldOPM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 days ago

They’ve definitely left some people hanging in the past, which sucks. It does feel like Quest 2 will have a longer support though, since it has such a large user base and is still being sold new.

• hitmyspot@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 days ago

Which is another way of saying meta will do whatever suits them rather than what’s good for owners.

• fer0n@lemmy.worldOPM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 days ago

I‘m not defending them here. I‘m just saying that the Quest 2 will probably go a different way.

Most of the things they’ve ended support on were failures (Oculus Go), were sold for a very short time with not many users (Quest 1) or turned out to be not the future in their eyes (basically everything PCVR).

Quest 2 has been sold for a long time and still is, has tens of millions of users and is clearly the path that they’ve decided to focus their energy on.

Again, they absolutely shouldn’t leave people hanging and at the very least have a buy back program or something similar. I‘m not trying to excuse their behavior.

• NoneYa@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 days ago

I’m really hoping so. I feel bad for players with the older headsets. It didn’t inspire confidence in me as a Quest 2 owner and it made me rethink an upgrade to a newer headset. I may be in the minority, but I like keeping older hardware/consoles as long as I can even if it comes at a cost to performance. I’d rather be the judge of when I need something better.

I’m wondering how and why they made those changes after leaning more into open source and with third party headsets set to release soon.