• Engywuck@lemm.eeOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 days ago

Independently on US laws, It’s funny how people in the technosphere still believe that Mozilla are the good guys.

• thepreciousboar@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 days ago

We need to, because they are the only ones fighting against Chrome monopoly. It’s so sad to read news like this

• idefix@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 days ago

I don’t understand your comment. They are the good guys browser-wise but that doesn’t mean they are good guys everywhere.

• gnuhaut@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 days ago

They’re not the good guys browser wise, they’re just slightly less shitty than Google, which was (still is probably?) their biggest customer.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 days ago

How do you arrive at that conclusion?

Mozilla has consistently supported user privacy and the open web, which is consistent with their mission statement. They also need to pay the bills, and they’ve done that in a very unobtrusive way. Look at Pocket, which is easy to disable and is reasonably privacy friendly (for what it does). Look at Mozilla VPN, which is just repackaged Mullvad, essentially the gold standard for privacy-friendly VPN.

Yeah, Mozilla does a lot of stuff I disagree with and I’d run it differently, but I think they do enough good that they’re on the good end of the spectrum. Using Firefox isn’t the lesser of evils, it’s a decent option among good options. Maybe it’s not the best for you, but it’s pretty good.

• sigmaklimgrindset@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 days ago

We’re purity testing Mozilla now? What’s up with that…There are no “good” or “bad” guys, this isn’t a morality play. It’s fucking browsers, bro, and to equate Mozilla to Microsoft or Google is insane.