Reports surface days before UN summit on Afghanistan that will exclude Afghan women and debate on women’s rights

• In more than one case the arrests and sexual abuse that young women faced while in custody earlier this year led to suicide and attempted suicide.

• In one case, a woman’s body was allegedly found in a canal a few weeks after she had been taken into custody by Taliban militants, with a source close to her family saying she had been sexually abused before her death.

• Girls and women also say they had been subjected to beatings and intimidation while in detention.

Amina*, a 22-year-old medical student, said she spent three nights in a Taliban prison after being arrested in January 2024. She said she was interrogated by an older man who asked her about her menstruation and whether she was married or not.

“I fell at his feet and begged him, ‘Please, kill me but don’t harass me’,” she said. “He said: ‘Since you are keen to die, I will kill you, but before that, let us have fun with you.’

“Then he started touching my private parts,” Amina said. “I fainted twice during the interrogation, but every time, he poured cold water over my head.”

Amina said what happened to her happened to every girl taken to that interrogation room and left alone with the man.

• Dankob@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 days ago

So sad how leaders in asian countries limit women and that many Muslims accept it… my colleague is a Muslim, says she doesn’t want to wear hijab but her young daughter wears cuz she wants to without being forced by their parents. Just sad. Nobody should be able to put such great limitations on other people.

• dumblederp@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

I reckon it’s the Taliban version of “I smelled weed in your car.” Just a pretense to being a dickhead.

• sunzu@kbin.run
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 days ago

Y’all… Pretext for harrasment is always legal ;) then it is… He said, she said. Ain’t it grand to allow some people these rights.

We know this and we have known this… But yet we still trust pigs, clergy and politicians…

I guess we got a society we deserve.

And if you think this is Afghan specific issue… Grow up lol

• AmidFuror@fedia.io
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 days ago

Can’t it be worse in some places than others, and therefore needing more attention there?

• sunzu@kbin.run
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            3 days ago

No doubt about that…

My main point is that people will get their faux outrage worked here while they are in denial that this same thing happens in the US… to this day.

Police sexually assaulting women after “pretext” stop is story as old as “police” enforcement

We as a society turned blind eye to this and still do… phone makes it hard but we still do it.

At societal level there is a pot calling cattle black

• AmidFuror@fedia.io
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              3 days ago

There is a massive difference in the degree. The situation for women in Afghanistan is terrible. Should no one write articles about girls not being allowed to attend school in Afghanistan because sometimes teachers and administrators at US public schools discourage girls from participating in STEM?

• sunzu@kbin.run
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                3 days ago

I never said such a thing… I am merely providing context for people before they do the ol’ reliable cope: “at least we are not Afghanistan”

Also, you don’t have to be a girl to be discouraged from academic achievement in the US… being poor is plenty enough ;)