I live in a vast rural area in the central valley of California. Here, people are fanatical carnivores. There is very little vegan food and I live very far from where most of it is available and don’t drive for many reasons many of them environmental. Getting there would require riding a bike in the heat most of the year and people here hate bicyclists. Delivery like doordash is really expensive and only the same two dashers will take my vegan order I’ve noticed.

Has anyone found any useful tips for this basic kind of situation that I’m driving at?

• SkyNTP@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 days ago

You live in the country, but don’t drive for environmental reasons, yet you are considering using Door Dash? Can we also assume you don’t want to face the obvious answer: stockpile or grow food and cook for yourself?

I don’t mean to be overly critical, but it sounds to me like you are trying to avoid compromising on both your ideals and modern day expectations, to find a practical solution. Your pre-industrial agricultural ancestor would have spent a week stockpiling food in the root cellar, by scrounging around locally, or going very far to stockpile food. They probably were also farming animals in a significantly more sustainable/humane way, though certainly exceedingly scarcely.

• Fisherman75@slrpnk.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

And like I told another person here, I was referring to groceries, not prepared vegan food. There is no prepared vegan food around here, just scant ingredients at certain department stores.

• Fisherman75@slrpnk.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Grow food where? What kind of person can afford enough land to grow their own food? Plus doordashers usually get multiple orders in one trip kind of like carpooling, saves gas. I would just be going just for my own groceries thus wasting gas.