• BubbleMonkey@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 days ago

I was under the impression you’d never actually realize you were falling in because of the time dilation.

You would see everything around you slow down, while you seem to be going the normal speed, because gravity. As long as your body remained parallel to the hole itself so you didn’t get pulled to shreds.

I get that this shows the gravitational lensing and stuff but… I’m having a hard time squaring that with time dilation. Would you actually see gravitational lensing from inside the lens?

• VizualWarrior@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 days ago

It’s the opposite, you would appear frozen at the event horizon to any observer and if you were lucky enough to be facing away from the event horizon as you fell in you would see everything else speed up. And according to Crash Course you’d see ALL OF TIME pass. So that’s cool.

• BubbleMonkey@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago

If you, on the inside and thus impacted by more gravity, which speeds up time (proven through ISS tests and general relativity) looked out, through gravity-based lensing, assuming you could even see more than a still image on the event horizon, and assuming it wasn’t warped beyond recognition, would time not be stopped for you? While you still saw yourself moving?

Sure, time would be stopped looking in, but since you are past the event horizon, why would stuff outside it continue to move for you? Your time moves differently.

I think a black hole would just be a mess for anyone anywhere near it, and I know we have no real solid understanding of how it works (because we definitely have no actual idea - we have never been remotely close to one ever, it’s all speculation) so…

• Lung@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

My understanding is that the time dilation effect is point of reference based. So to an external viewer, they would see you slow down and then fade away, red shifted, because the light has a harder and harder time escaping the pull of gravity. From your perspective it may be business as normal, not even particularly noticable (maybe)

What actually happens to you is anyone’s guess currently. The classic view is that with a big enough black hole, you could safely pass the event horizon and explore a very weird region of space where everything (including light) is flowing in one direction. However, since hawking, physics has wrestled with the black hole information paradox — since black holes emit hawking radiation and shrink, is it that you’re duplicated inside and outside? Are the two selves entangled? Do those entanglements rip apart? Or do you get disintegrated and stored on the surface? Is there an energetic barrier around the event horizon? Do you stop being 3D? Does time and space switch roles? Can you exit through a bridge to another part of the universe? Yep, we don’t really know

Recommend PBS Spacetime on YT if you want to explore the theories