Centralization is bad for everyone everywhere.

That bring said… I just moved my homeserver to another city… and I plugged in the power, then I plugged in the ethernet, and that was the whole shebang.

Tunnels made it very easy. No port forwarding no dns configuration no firewall fiddling no nothing.

Why do they have to make it so so easy…

• slazer2au@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

Because Cloudflare acts as a reverse proxy it can see everything that happens in a session.
    This is also known as a man in the middle attack. But Cloudflare meds to do this in order to do it’s checks for bad actors.

Now, as Cloudflare has access to the unencrypted traffic and we know that NSA is all about data vacuuming due to the Snowdn leaks we can make a tin foil hat guess whaylt goes on.

• IphtashuFitz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 days ago

I don’t understand why Cloudflare gets bashed so much over this… EVERY CDN out there does exactly the same thing. It’s how CDN’s work. Whether it’s Akamai, AWS, Google Cloud CDN, Fastly, Microsoft Azure CDN, or some other provider, they all do the same thing. In order to operate properly they need access to unencrypted content so that they can determine how to cache it properly and serve it from those caches instead of always going back to your origin server.

My employer uses both Akamai and AWS, and we’re well aware of this fact and what it means.

• ramble81@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 days ago

Just note, OP, that the last part of his statement is pure speculation. The first part is technically true, which can lead to that inference, but no information has been released which corroborates it. However, that does not mean it’s not possible.

• h3ndrik@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          3 days ago

Though those leaks showed they actually did it on a large scale. I don’t think they stopped for some arbitrary reason. Why would they? And technology developed further, surveillance is only getting easier. I’d say even without a tin-foil hat on, it’s more likely they do it than not.

• Auli@twit.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago

@ramble81 @slazer2au sure but they had PRISM to think they are still not doing something like that is absurd. We know they’re doing it and cloudflare would be a perfect target.