If so, how do you choose which ones to donate to? Do you prefer regular or recurring donations? What payment methods do you like to use?

• thirdBreakfast@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

Yes, a few. Signal (daily use), LetsEncrypt & Certbot (EFF). It’s not enough.

One day I decided I’d spend $x every January (when I do all my other donations) on open source stuff I depend on, and roughly in the proportions I depend on them. It quickly became impossible - I can’t just fund Debian (which I use a lot of in VMs), I’d need to think of all their dependencies, same with NGINX, Node etc etc. The mind boggles.

I need something like a Spotify subscription for open source to assuage my guilt of the great value I extract for my personal use of open source.

• makeasnek@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

I need something like a Spotify subscription for open source to assuage my guilt of the great value I extract for my personal use of open source.

I would love to see something like this, where I can contribute to an open source project while also contributing to all their dependencies. Maybe such a thing exists and I just haven’t heard of it yet.