• ᴇᴍᴘᴇʀᴏʀ 帝@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 days ago

They are never going to say to vote tactically but resources will be targeted at constituencies where they stand a good chance of winning, which will have a similar effect. I’d respect them more if they said “we aren’t going to win in X, so vote Lib Dem/Green/SNP to really stick the boot in” as it might make all the difference.

The thing about Clacton is polling suggests Labour are in second, with Farage well ahead. So an argument could be made for Labour to step it up a gear there because if Farage messes up (perhaps by continuing to be a Putin stooge) they could sneak between a split Tory/Reform vote and get a cheeky win. Anything to keep Farage out of Parliament as his influence is corrosive. They may be calculating that Farage as an MP might be the nail in the Tory’s coffin for a generation but it may bite them in the arse.

• hitmyspot@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 days ago

They could also be betting that Farage in parliament may be the nail in the coffin for Farage. Without any power he won’t turn up and will just fizzle. Like Brexit, hell just walk when he doesn’t get the attention any more.

So it could be a play to kill both. However, I think that would discount his love of attention and the media would still give him attention if he can keep saying hateful or controversial things.

• jabjoe@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago

You can see what he’ll be like. Constantly trying to talk more than he would be allowed for his position, then claiming he is being silenced when he’s not allowed. If he got himself kicked out for behavior, he’d love it. His followers will lap it all up.

• Jackthelad@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 days ago

Anyone selected for Labour in Clacton is basically a paper candidate, so I’m not surprised they want him to campaign somewhere where they actually might win.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 days ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Labour has been accused of “not putting up a fight” against Nigel Farage in Clacton after the party’s candidate was instructed to leave the constituency after “distracting” from Keir Starmer’s campaign.

Jovan Owusu-Nepaul, 27, who works for Labour’s equalities team, was installed by the party last month to contest the seat, weeks before Farage changed his mind and decided to stand in the Essex constituency.

However, Owusu-Nepaul attracted attention on social media after he was photographed bumping into the Reform UK leader at an opening of a new food truck in Frinton earlier this month, with pictures going viral.

The Guardian reported last week that dozens of Labour candidates have been blocked from accessing the party’s canvassing systems, which help them drum up support from voters, because they were deemed not to be campaigning enough in target seats.

Chris Bee, another member of the local party, said: “Our candidate gets some real traction and with a week-and-a-bit to go they pull him out and will not allow him back into the constituency to fight for a place in this area’s most important election in a generation.

“I’m concerned there will be follow-on questions: members, supporters and more worryingly donators will be both angry and upset that it appears like the party that they have a great hope in isn’t doing anything to show a battle front to what many see as a catastrophe not only for Clacton, but for the parliamentary system entirely.”

The original article contains 645 words, the summary contains 243 words. Saved 62%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!