Have you went down any internet rabbit holes only to come out with a deep set existential crisis? If so, what are they?

• Mike1576218@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

I never understood why Fermi should be a paradox.

Space is mind-bogglingly big. Insanely huge. And almost everything is empty. Primitive life (bacteria, fungus,…) might evolve on every other planet, but even mammal like life is probably not that common. Maybe 1 in 10k solar systems has them?

And now my sad hypothesis: FTL drives are simply not possible.

Also, did I mention space is huge? Sending radio signals to a planet 10k ly away is very non trivial. Unless they point a huge dish exactly at us and we point a huce dish exactly to them, we won’t hear each other.

The idea that extraterrestials will watch our TV in 100k years is absurd. (Sorry Lrrrr)

• Mrs_deWinter
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Well obviously our reality isn’t actually paradoxical. We call it that way because it seems like our estimates and conclusions don’t fit our observed reality:

Based on mathematical estimations (e.g. the Drake equation) it’s pretty unlikely that we’re the only intelligent species in our galaxy. So where is everyone?

Every answer to that question tries to resolve the seeming paradox. And your answer specifically isn’t unheard of either, it’s called the economic explanation. Throwing satellites out is obviously possible, we’ve done it and Voyager 1 will reach another solar system in roughly 30,000 years. So it’s technically possible, just very uneconomic.