• BakerBagel@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

That is actually why they’rea big discrepancy between male and female studies rates. Attempts are about even but women typically choose less effective/reversible methods such as sleeping pills. Men tend to choose more violent methods like firearms or hanging which results in higher success rates on suicide attempts.

• Num10ck@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 days ago

I’ve heard women do it as either a fate coin-toss or attention seeking… men do it as a final solution to attention avoiding.

• flicker@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

After extensive reading there isn’t any real answer for this question. Studies into why men or women choose specific methods are scarce. Speaking from personal experience, I chose poisoning because I didn’t want to leave a massive bloody mess behind for someone to have to clean up.

One study (with a small sample size) that asked men who survived an attempted suicide using a firearm showed that many of them answers they picked the gun because it was available.

Of two of the men I’ve known who committed suicide, one used a gun (behind his house and was found by two neighbor children playing, just awful) and the other hanged himself.

I think we need to do more research into why before making a definitive claim.

• Lepsea@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 days ago

One study (with a small sample size) that asked men who survived an attempted suicide using a firearm showed that many of them answers they picked the gun because it was available

My professor hangs himself with a collection of coaxial cable from the radio lab and one Of my neighbors using a rope that his children use for scouting. They really use what is available for them at those moments.

The suicide reason is from divorce and debt. Both of them are doing it when they are alone. If you have a suicidal thoughts please seek help and talk to people who love you it really help because we will miss you

• Annoyed_🦀 🏅@monyet.cc
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 days ago

talk to people who love you it really help because we will miss you

This is the hard part me think. As a guy that also suicidal like two years ago and slowly walk myself out of it over the year, it’s hard to identify who will care and who will love, i always feels like most people around me care only because i’m about to do something irreversible, not care about me deeply. It’s that cynicism that i feels drive a lot of people to suicide because they just don’t know who will care.

• flicker@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 days ago

The thing about mental health is, if your brain chemicals aren’t buttfucking you, you can live not because someone else might care, but because you care.

That should be enough.

You are enough.

• Muscar@discuss.online
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                2 days ago

Are you the same person that you replied to just with another account? You both write broken English in the exact same way, it really stands out.

• Annoyed_🦀 🏅@monyet.cc
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  2 days ago

Ohh? Do explain about the broken english part, english is my second language, and i couldn’t see anything broken about OOP’s english.

• Asafum@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

That kind of makes sense at least for me. I don’t want any attention from people I know or anyone really, I just don’t want to exist anymore.

“Thankfully” I have a family that cares about me so I’m not going anywhere. I couldn’t hurt them just so I don’t have to suffer, that’s even worse.

• Jolteon@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

I’m a guy, and not suicidal. But if I was, I’d make damn sure it worked. The only thing worse then a successful suicide attempt is an almost successful suicide attempt that leaves you with severe physical or mental problems.

• BakerBagel@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

And in the fucked up hellscape that is America, a fuckton of legal debt. First to the ER that saved your life and then to the mental hospital that forced you in because of your attempt. And guess what! Neither are in network so you are now am extra $100,000 in debt because you decided your financial situation was beyond salvage.

• zout@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 days ago

You could also argue that men are a little handier. /s

Seriously, if you feel depressed, burnt out or plain suicidal, talk to someone about it. Mental health problems can hardly ever be powered through alone.