• Son_of_dad@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I’ve been living in Canada for 25 years, I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who says aboot, or anyone with that hoser accent

• AspieEgg@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

J. J. McCullough on YouTube is a pretty popular YouTuber that says aboot a lot. As an American who moved to Canada, I hear a lot of people use “aboat” a lot instead of the more American “abowt”. Though it can be pretty difficult to distinguish between a Canadian and American accent, especially since both countries have several different accents.

• nathris@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

He says it to get views. The only place you might hear ‘aboot’ is in Newfoundland. Aboat is I think an eastern thing as well. I rarely hear in in BC.

Dude is from Vancouver, which means he should have a PNW accent. There are some differences between Vancouver and Seattle accents but on the whole they are considered one of the most subtle and neutral in North America.

If you want the American equivalent word, ask someone to pronounce the word ‘roof’. Canadians will pronounce the ‘oo’ like in boot but a lot of Americans will say ‘ruff’ or ‘rough’.

• PeriodicallyPedantic@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Yeah I don’t think it’s especially common. Maybe out west or in the prairies? I don’t know many people from there. In the marritimes it’s all “aboat” as far as I can tell, and Ontario I think says it like American “Abowt”.

Part 3 of the north american accent tour, by Erik Singer, on the Wired YouTube channel, does a great job breaking down different Canadian (and north american) accents.

• abake@lemmy.film
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I’m from the maritimes. The most common pronunciation of “about” that I’ve heard sounds like “a boat” ⛵. And “out” is usually pronounced like “oat” 🌾.

• BarqsHasBite@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

We pronounce “about” and “out” with a U.

Americans pronounce it “abowt” and “owt” with a W.

Americans can’t seem to make the U sound and whenever they do try it sounds like and A or O. But it’s neither, it’s a U.

• JizzmasterD@lemmy.ca
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It happens in the rural west/prairies sometimes.

The internet is making us a bit more boring.

• BonesOfTheMoon@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Idk, if you live with Americans like I did for a while they have a very different opinion of our accents, which I don’t even think we particularly have.