Hello everyone,

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, I couldn’t find any other thread about this.

Basically title, I know that the Lemmy.world communities are not listed on Lemmyverse anymore due to some API issues, do you guys have any idea on when it will come back?

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Negative, I’ll have a look tomorrow to see if they gave contact info on Lemmyverse

• orangeNgreen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Same (or similar) issue going on with fanaticus.social. Posts and comments haven’t federated between lemmy.world and fanaticus.social for about two weeks now. Hoping things get worked out soon, though I’m sure they have had their hands busy stopping attacks.

• freamon@endlesstalk.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

This being the default answer for all issues kinda prevents any discussion of any issue that might be unrelated.

The API problem is that you do (ignore the ampersand issue for a moment):
      curl 'https://lemmy.world/api/v3/community/list?type_=Local&sort=Old&limit=1&page=250010&show_nsfw=true' | jq .
      and it will return a response for a page of Communities it can’t possibly have. It’s a never-ending list that can’t be indexed.

The thing, it returns without issue - there’s no connectivity problems that DDOS attacks would cause.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

No. Just .world. Every other instance returns an empty array when the end of the list of Communities is reached. We’d know if they didn’t, because they’d break web crawlers too.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

I think there was a change to the API in a recent release of Lemmy, that .world hasn’t accounted for correctly. I’m guessing because this post has the two most common responses to tech questions about .world: silence from anyone who could actually answer, and the usual “it’ll be them DDOS attacks”.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Indeed, and the situation (fingers crossed) seems to be quite stable now, hence the question