Hi, I am new to Kbin like many, but I have a few questions on usage. So far I’ve liked it, but I keep getting logged out after a bit of inactivity and it makes me enter my credentials when I decide to comment. Is there a way to make it keep me logged in? I was very used to having reddit be basically perpetually logged in and being able to interact easily without constantly having to enter my credentials.

Second, when I click on links from the various posts, it doesn’t open a new tab, and I end up closing the tab when done, and I don’t have a tab to return to my Kbin browsing. Is there a setting for all new links to be opened in a new tab? This was also functionality I used with reddit, although I don’t know if that was related to RES or reddit itself.

Lastly, speaking of the links, is there a way to make the link on the main page open the actual link to the external source instead of opening the post and comments? I feel like I am having to do extra clicks just to get to the content posted. I am used to viewing the content first, then going to the comments later if I choose to.

Thanks for any info and sorry if any of this has been asked before!

• mrnotoriousman@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m gonna just add an extra question to your post instead of making a new thread:

Is there a way to collapse comment chains? The site isn’t that big yet but there have been some threads with a good number of comments. Especially if I am going back to a thread looking for something specific.

• Gordon_Freeman@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

it doesn’t open a new tab, and I end up closing the tab when done, and I don’t have a tab to return to my Kbin browsing. Is there a setting for all new links to be opened in a new tab?

well this is just a personal habit, but when I want to open something on a new tab I just click the link with the mousewheel

Lastly, speaking of the links, is there a way to make the link on the main page open the actual link to the external source instead of opening the post and comments?

click on the thumbnail, just like in Reddit

• saegiru@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

click on the thumbnail, just like in Reddit

Sadly that doesn’t seem to work for me, it just loads the Kbin post/comments then I have to click the link from there.

And as for the mousewheel click, yeah that’s something I guess I’ll have to retrain myself for.

• Gordon_Freeman@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Sadly that doesn’t seem to work for me, it just loads the Kbin post/comments then I have to click the link from there.

yeah, my bad, for some reason I thought it worked, but it doesn’t, sorry

• kriss0706@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

but I keep getting logged out after a bit of inactivity and it makes me enter my credentials when I decide to comment.

You have to make sure to tick “Remember me” when you log in to your account.

when I click on links from the various posts, it doesn’t open a new tab

Ah yes. Sadly there is not an option for this, unless someone made an extension? I’m sure they will correct this in the future.

• saegiru@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

You have to make sure to tick “Remember me” when you log in to your account.

Yeah, I’ve tried that but it eventually logs out - haven’t figured out how long it takes yet though. I’m just used to coming back to reddit even after reboots without having to relog.

• Unaware7013@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Do you get logged out when using it normally, or on browser closing? Might be a browser issue with cookies not being saved between sessions.

• nothingspecial@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Lastly, speaking of the links, is there a way to make the link on the main page open the actual link to the external source instead of opening the post and comments? I feel like I am having to do extra clicks just to get to the content posted. I am used to viewing the content first, then going to the comments later if I choose to.

I’d like to add that I also would love to have this feature. I think about it each and every time I click on a post referring to a source.