Baldur’s Gate 3 is a game of the year contender - but how does its PC release stack up in terms of visuals and performa…

• 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

The title is so clickbaity and dicksucking… The game is great in all areas except the polish. The amount of bugs is staggering, and almost all of them are not things you can easily ignore. It does not put AAA games to shame. It doesn’t even put AA games to shame.

• dezmd@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I don’t mind if there’s no more polish if they allow me to export and import characters in multiplayer. BG1 and BG2 (and Icewind Dale 1 and 2) were both superior in that regard, along side LARGER PARTY sizes.

• Leshoyadut@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I feel like the UX/UI also needs a lot of work. Tooltips missing important information, an inability to see what future levels in a class/subclass grant me (making it much more difficult to make an informed decision there), I can’t view the inventory/character sheets of companions not currently in my party (requiring four steps of starting dialogue just to check items on a person and swap back to my original party member), a lack of explanation on how things are calculated or what your proficiency bonus is/comes from, etc. Not even counting the numerous visual bugs in the UI, or how the UI just seems oddly sluggish at times for no discernible reason.

I’m genuinely loving a ton of the game. But interacting with the interface is a constant low level annoyance that pulls me out of the experience just a bit all the time and noticeably detracts from my enjoyment as a result.

• dartos@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Yeah, came here to say this.

The games content is pure gold. The weight of attacks and spells feel good, the sound design is great, but polish? None.

I’ve had bugs with the UI freezing, there’s awkward 15 seconds after every skill check where the game just sits there before saying success or fail, NPCs show up in weird places when you talk to them sometimes.

Great game, but not polished perfectly.

• 018118055@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I don’t doubt your experience but there must be some other factor. I don’t see any of those problems you report.

• ThayWiz Gwar@lemmy.worldM
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I didn’t experience any of that the first part of Act 1 (early access, basically), but as I start to progress past that content, I certainly am starting to experience some of these issues. 15 second delays I can attest to. Running on Win10, Ryzen 7700X, 32GB, 4090 with separate OS and game NVMEs.

• 018118055@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Ok interesting. I’ll see how things evolve, although I’m in no hurry to race through the game.

• ThayWiz Gwar@lemmy.worldM
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

In no situation should anyone race through the game. I read about those poor few who had to “beat” the game opening weekend. You Won Nothing.

• dartos@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Nothing besides the camera has been bad enough to break my experience tbf. Sometimes the camera gets stuck and I need to switch characters to make it behave again.

Some people have a higher tolerance for jankiness than I do also.

I think hardware probably contributes to it as well. My brother experiences occasional crashes, but it’s never crashed for me in 2x the amount of playtime.

Compared to other PC releases in recent years it might as well be perfect though lol.