link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

losing a feeling of progress

Right, that’s why it says perfectly rationally. If someone is really being perfectly rational they should only care about how long they wait inine, not a feeling of how long they wait. I don’t think being “perfectly rational” is something folks should strive to do.

• RagingRobot@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Fuck everyone else though right? That doesn’t sound rational does it? In that case why even wait in the line? Just walk to the front because that will shorten your time

• JackbyDev@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Right, it’s illustrating the foolishness of endlessly pursuing “rationality”, it’s not something people should do. I literally said it’s not a good thing. Just because something is rational doesn’t make it good. Humans are emotional beings.

• Laticauda@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Except being rational is not void of emotional reasoning, so “perfectly rational” does not mean “thinking without any emotional logic involved whatsoever”. This person isn’t thinking rationally, they’re just thinking very literally.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I think rational in this context doesn’t include emotional logic. I see your point though. I’m just saying I think they’re using the word differently than you.

• Laticauda@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

If it doesn’t include emotional logic when humans are fundamentally emotional beings, then it’s not rational.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

Which is why I think it’s clear they’re using the term rational differently and not including emotional logic.

• pufferfischerpulver@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I don’t think the person’s behaviour is rational at all. The queues in an airport are set up like they are for a good reason, to maximize the amount of people queuing in a given area. That is the rational behind the setup.
      The person in the picture is ruining the system based in the time being spent queueing. But she is not considering the space taken up by the queue as a whole. Not very rational.

• Landmammals@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Not only is it the same amount of wait time, but you have to pick up and put down your suitcase less times.