In my case, a few things, but probably being healthy, having a good quality of life in a safe country. Being able to spend time with my friends and family.

• orangeNgreen@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Those are all good things. I appreciate having a roof over my head, a full belly, and overall good health.

• SiyahGuraag@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

My family. I guess I appreciate my family the most because it is the most important thing in my life. I’m not in Western countries where there’s too much focus on individualism, and unique identities, and whatnot. But, in my culture, it could be said that family is the most important part of one’s life. I am Pakistani, and a Baloch after that. Hope that helps.

• Lazylazycat@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Having a nice job that gives me lots of time off to do the things I love. I feel very lucky to have that.

• GregoryTheGreat@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Oh my yes. I have the same thing 30 hour max contract as a software engineer/DevOps 99% remote. I go in for a meeting here and there or if I need to physically touch a computer for a while. I generally work 20-25 hours per week and take Fridays off.

I got the job by first working there full time for 7 years and then quitting for a while and then coming back as a contractor.

What did you find that offers a lot of time off? I want options!

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

That sounds brilliant! I work 36 hours over 4 days so get a 3 day weekend which is lovely. But I also get 8 weeks annual leave pro rata which I value so much. I could get paid a lot more working somewhere else but I can’t give up my free time, it’s too important.

I’m a buyer for wholesaler which is a worker co-operative.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

That’s very true.

Do you work part-time?

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I work 36 hours over 4 days so get Saturday-Monday off. Plus 8 weeks holiday pro rata + accrued time off in lieu. Honestly, working 4 days a week has made my life infinitely better.

• BlazeOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

That could be my next move tool. I’m already ending on Fridays at 3 and that’s much better than earlier, but I am still not sure I can afford the pay-cut they would probably ask me if I wanted to lower my hours.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Yeah you’ve got to get the balance between pay and time off just right, and I recognise it’s not possible for everyone. That’s the reason I do 36 hours rather than dropping to 32. I’d rather be doing 32 but can’t quite afford it. But having every Monday off makes it so worth it.

• abbadon420@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I appreciate a whole lot of things. I’m finally starting to see the fruits of my labor and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. My job is finally great. I did years of blue collar labor, after I had to quit college. I ended up being a trucker, whi h was fine for a while, but the last years were hell. Now I’m loving my job, even doing voluntairy overtime (once), because I’m just too stoked to finish some project I started.

My wife is fantastic. She supports me in everything I do, (especially since I’m basically back in college now) and she is now doing her thing which gives me a chance to support her back. And people keep telling me my kids a so nice and well behaved. I worry about them sometimes, but I’m also very proud of them and I surely appreciate them.

I appreciate the place and circumstances where I was born. I don’t mean to brag about my “white privilige”, but I am appreciative to be born in a good family (both financially and socially average+), in a good, rich, safe, western european country. There’s plenty to bitch about, but there’s no denying that the circumstances I was born in have given me oppertunities many people don’t get and some take for granted and it’s good to stop and think about that every once in a while.

• Mr_Blott@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Sometimes it’s all the things you said.

Sometimes it’s my long handled shoehorn

Sometimes I wish I had one for my socks

Sometimes I’m glad I have feet

• SocialMediaRefugee@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

From a purely practical standpoint…

My health insurance when so many people have shitty or none. My wife’s nasty shoulder infection is finally healing after weeks of doctor’s visits and cutting into it.

My dental insurance when I bust a tooth.

• theodewere@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

right now i’m really appreciating some landscaping work i did around the yard a couple of months ago… i have some impatiens flora that are doing really great, and a golden vicary privet that might take over the yard… it’s a real joy to see them grow more each day and week…

• Monkyhands@feddit.dk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

My partner and our wonderful daughter first and foremost. And at the moment, I really appreciate my job being flexible, and still letting me work from home - even from another country than where I’m supposed to be.

• OceanSoap@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

My job, for sure. My mother, who fostered a sense of wonder in me, and modern medicine dealing with genetics that helped diagnose and fix a few issues I was facing.