I ask because I like console, but at the same time have difficulties remembering all the commands. I’d like to try a GUI that is comfortable to use with only a keyboard.
[edit]
My inbox got fediversized, fantastic feeling.

• BentiGorlich@thebrainbin.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I am using it too and I love it. I only know source tree as a competitor and in comparision it sucks…

You dont have to pay for it, even when using it comercially (unpess they changed that)

• Modal@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

It has a “free evaluation” that I think can be as long as you want it to be / honor system.
        Its been worth it to me to pick up a license and support the development though. Its reasonably priced (for a dev tool) / no subscription and definitely beats the free clients I was using before (Sourcetree/GithubDesktop).

• Kaldo@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Came here to recommend it too, really neat and practical tool and I haven’t found a better alternative yet. Honestly I don’t know why are people so against GUI git tools, it makes visualizing branches and commits so much more easier. I don’t think you can use it only with your keyboard as OP asked though, dunno how important that is to them.

• Djoot@feddit.dk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Lazygit changed how I use git, it is so easy to do all the daily essentials like branching, committing, and merging, but also also does more advanced things like interactive rebasing when needed.

I had searched for a proper git client, that was free and open source plus worked on both Linux and Windows, for a long time and I haven’t looked back after finding lazygit.

• exu@feditown.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Magit with emacs (doom emacs to be fully honest). More a TUI, but definitely fully keyboard driven :)

• dolle@feddit.dk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Same here. I don’t even use emacs for development anymore (I use IntelliJ since all my work is on the JVM and Typescript) but I still have an emacs running in the background for magit and org-mode. Magit is insanely effective for performing complex rebasing and cherry-picking tasks.

• solariplex@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I use it as well! Not sure if it’s a flatpak thing, but for some reason I need to re-enter credentials for my git remotes for each push. What’s your experience?

• Domi@lemmy.secnd.me
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

No problems here but I only use SSH keys which are configured on my ~/.ssh directory.

I assume you can use ssh-agent somehow to save your credentials.

• CosmicBlend@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I used to use SourceTree but it runs horribly and switched to Fork years ago and never looked back. I use VSCode for merge conflict resolution.

• s_w@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I use IntelliJ’s built-in git GUI.

I don’t understand why people use command line only. Sure, learn the commands so if you need to use them you can, but most GUIs are far more feature rich than command line. With IntelliJ, I can easily view differences before committing, have it do code quality scans, automatically clean up any code it can, more easily choose which files I want to commit vs the typical ‘git add .’ I see most people do with command line, have separate changelists when pair programming, and much more.

One argument that continually comes up is that command line is faster. I completely disagree. If I want to just commit the code without reviewing it, I can use 2 hot keys and the code is committed and pushed. But as I do a quick readthrough of all the code first and review issues from the code quality analysis it does take more time, but still less than it would to do comparable things with command line.

• dbanty@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The IntelliJ merge UI is the only way I ever want to deal with merge conflicts. So much better than any of the alternatives I’ve tried!

• pinkpatrol@anarch.is
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m a heavy intellij user, but the git log UI always confuses me. When I open ‘git log’ via the action menu IntelliJ doesn’t focus my current branch. I am not sure if there’s some other menu I’m supposed to use to achieve that.

I do use the commit local changes, pull changes, merge branches functionality a good bit. My only feedback there is that I haven’t found a way to quickly commit changes without running git hooks. Each time it requires me to open up the gear icon and deselect ‘git hooks’. This is slower than using the command line where I can write git commit --no-verify and repeat the same command again and again. I know it’s a niche need, but it’s necessary for testing a rather archaic system we maintain.

• corytheboyd@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

These days I can run everything I need to with the git cli. I use the JetBrains visual merge tool to resolve conflicts, because doing that by hand is so awfully error prone, it very very intuitively maps to a visual process

• key@lemmy.keychat.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Gitkraken is great. Git is one of the few things I don’t like to CLI (largely because I hate git; hg for life) and Gitkraken is the most usable Linux GUIs I’ve tried. The big problem is the restriction on private repos they added a few versions back. I gave in and paid but I can see a lot of people not being willing to.

• Remillard@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I use GK for everything and usually only use CLI when there’s something a little exotic. I like seeing it update in real time on another screen and I like the diff engine for quickly assessing changes and making sure everything I expected was altered and nothing I didn’t. I know there are other tools but GitKraken is the fastest for me.

Also have found it a good tool for teaching other engineers (usually older) how Git works. We tried out Sourcetree but it was super clunky at the time.

If I had to find a tool between pure CLI and pure GUI I’d probably recommend Emacs Magit porcelain. Works quite well.

• swhitt@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I used to swear by the git CLI. After using GitKraken for a few days, I shelled out the $95 for an annual license. It’s really good.

• sunaurus@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I use a 50%-50% mix between git CLI and the built-in git tools in JetBrains IDEs.

To be honest, I could quite easily get by with just the JetBrains GUI - they have a super sophisticated GUI that can easily handle things like interactive rebase, cherry-picking, etc + they have a great conflict resolution tool. I just use the cli every now and then if I want to get something done quickly while I don’t have an IDE window open.

• ursakhiin@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This one. It’s sophisticated and easy to navigate.

I generally do conflict resolution in Jetbrains IDEs and everything else in CLI. Occasionally, I might commit from the IDE if I only want a single file.

• arandomthought@vlemmy.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I mostly use the CLI but when I used to use PyCharm the JetBrain git GUI was the shit. The closest to it in a standalone program I’ve seen is maybe sublime merge, which is also great.

• sznio@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I use the VS Code built-in git support for making commits, and fall back to the CLI for anything else.

You won’t have trouble remembering commands once you use them often enough. And you don’t need to know all of them, just the ones your workflow uses. My toolbox is commit, checkout, status, reset, rebase -i, merge, bisect. That’s all I need day-to-day.