Feel free to share, ask questions or advice on any financial matter.

• Agent641@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

It is depressing, everywhere in the world. I work full-time in the tech industry in a capital city and earn about 100k AUD, with about $60k in savings. Not only can I not borrow enough to buy a home in the city, I also can’t get a rental because in a city of 2 million, there are only 1000 rental properties on the market, and their prices have increased by 80% in the last 5 years.

I currently live in my car. Its not too bad. Im saving a tremendous amount of money not paying rent or mortgage. Im comitted to never renting again even if one becomes available to me, and I wont buy in the city, my 2-year plan is to move to a very small regional town, purchasing a block of land with a crappy house on it with a 50% deposit and transition to working remotely while I renovate it and raise some chickens, a veggie garden, maybe a pig too.

I have no family money to help me, every dollar I’ve ever had is one I earned myself. Eventually, ill inherit two houses assuming my divorced parents don’t cock something up with them, but that wont be til im already approaching retirement age.