Some routine maintenence and losing your balance while holding a hard drive and ripping the cord out breaking the retainer for the connectors… 4tb Samsung ssd RIP

• m-p{3}@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

You might still be able to use it if you carefully superglue back the plastic part.

A more permanent fix would be to replace the SATA connector and solder a new one by someone with the proper skillset.

The important parts are still in good shape, don’t throw it away!

• ono@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Seconded. If OP lives anywhere near a city, there’s probably an electronics repair shop within reach that would solder on a new connector for less than the cost of a new SSD.

• mom
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Having all pins present, I wouldn’t be surprised if the drive still gets detected while bending a SATA cable back juuuuuust right so its connector makes contact with the pins.

• m-p{3}@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Considering this is the data portion of the SATA connector I’d be worried about data integrity all the time 😬

• SenorBolsa@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I’ve used computers for years like that, also these card edge connectors are pretty standard and can be easily replaced by anyone who can do basic soldering.

• lotanis
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

If it’s dead then it’s no risk, right? Afterwards it’s either working or still dead.

• jarfil@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Hey Alexa, how 2 soldier

First step, you need to enlist. A soldiering iron will be issued to you, there will be many like it, but that one will be yours…

• Dandroid@dandroid.app
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It’s really easy. I have be soldering to repair my own guitars since I was like 12. Watch an instructional video on the internet, practice with some spare wires and circuit boards. You can learn in an hour or two.

• LetMeEatCake@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Problem for most people isn’t going to be the act of soldering. It’s going to be acquiring a soldering station and some solder to work with. If you intend to use it multiple times it’s not bad at all. For a one-and-done situation it’s best to just pay someone else to do it with their equipment or buy a new SSD entirely.

• Dandroid@dandroid.app
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I mean, maybe. When I moved out of my parents house and didn’t have access to their set up, I paid like $50 for a decent soldering iron with an on/off switch, a stand, and a heat dial. And $5 for some solder. I feel like it will pay for itself in just one use. And once you have one, you’ll realize all things you can fix on our own instead of replacing it or paying someone to fix it.

• LetMeEatCake@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Like I said, it comes down to if you’re doing it once or if you intend to use the soldering iron again in the future. $55 is a lot for a once-off use.

• Dandroid@dandroid.app
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                11 months ago

Yeah, but how much does paying someone for the repair cost? I can’t imagine it’s less than that.

• simple@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Hopefully what’s on the disk could be salvaged from a computer shop or something. 4tb SSD though… Ouch.

• Nate@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I did this to a PNY drive once and they RMAd it for me! I was up front and said it was 100% my fault and I had already had it for a few years. If you’ve got a laptop that has a mounted slot you can probably slide it in to get any data you need off of it