My folks used to have a shop located inside of a mall. They worked hard to make it pleasant for the people who stopped in, and part of that was putting out a small fridge near the front desk and telling guests that they were free to choose from an array of sodas while they waited. It was a nice gesture.

Patrons of the mall apparently caught onto this, and my folks started getting people who was stroll in, open the fridge, take a soda, then just leave, ignoring anyone who even said hello to them. It was becoming a more and more frequent occurrence.

The last straw was when one of the staff saw a lady pointing to the store and whispering to her young kid. The kid then strolled into the store, ignored the greeting from the staff, opened the fridge, took both arms full sodas, then turned and thing without a word. Several adults came in within the next few days and did the same thing: grabbed both arms full of sodas and left.

The staff then removed the refrigerator from the lobby and kept it in the back. After that, there were large amount of people would confidently saunter in, falter when they didn’t see the fridge anymore, search around a bit, and then leave, never to return again.

Some even demanded to know where the “free drinks” went, one even going so far as to ask the staff “could you go get a few for me?”

People suck.