Need to let loose a primal scream without collecting footnotes first? Have a sneer percolating in your system but not enough time/energy to make a whole post about it? Go forth and be mid: Welcome to the Stubsack, your first port of call for learning fresh Awful youā€™ll near-instantly regret.

Any awful.systems sub may be subsneered in this subthread, techtakes or no.

If your sneer seems higher quality than you thought, feel free to cutā€™nā€™paste it into its own post ā€” thereā€™s no quota for posting and the bar really isnā€™t that high.

The post Xitter web has spawned soo many ā€œesotericā€ right wing freaks, but thereā€™s no appropriate sneer-space for them. Iā€™m talking redscare-ish, reality challenged ā€œculture criticsā€ who write about everything but understand nothing. Iā€™m talking about reply-guys who make the same 6 tweets about the same 3 subjects. Theyā€™re inescapable at this point, yet I donā€™t see them mocked (as much as they should be)

Like, there was one dude a while back who insisted that women couldnā€™t be surgeons because they didnā€™t believe in the moon or in stars? I think each and every one of these guys is uniquely fucked up and if I canā€™t escape them, I would love to sneer at them.

• V0ldek@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    Ā·
    2 months ago

Jesus fucking christā€¦

So where do I switch now? Is this the moment I build my own email server and handle this shit myself? I really donā€™t wannaā€¦

• self@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        2 months ago

they have apparently promised they donā€™t plan on implementing anything AI-related which is good, though Iā€™m honestly hoping for a system where our privacy isnā€™t entirely reliant on the promises of a single authority

and Iā€™m not saying we should do our own federated e2e email service, but somebody should

ā€¦more realistically, Iā€™ll probably switch to tuta when my proton account nears renewal, as Iā€™m not a fan of how much pure unfiltered horseshit Iā€™m seeing them output with the money I paid them

• smiletolerantly@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      Ā·
      2 months ago

Setting up an email server is really straightforward with simple-nixos-mailserver, highly recommend. No idea how likely you are to be classified as spam though from a new domain

• flowerysong@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        2 months ago

I host my own email and for my day job I run an institutional email system that handles ~50 million messages per week. I canā€™t recommend hosting email at either end of that scale (or anywhere in between), and I find it difficult to believe that anyone with experience running a mail server would claim itā€™s reasonable or straightforward.

• flere-imsaho@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

i host my mail services for the last twenty seven years, and yeah, youā€™re talking shit. starting the smtp daemon is not the same as managing mail server.

• self@awful.systems
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          Ā·
          2 months ago

i host my mail services for the last twenty seven years

this is one of the circles of hell Dante didnā€™t comprehend when he wrote Inferno

• froztbyte@awful.systems
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          Ā·
          2 months ago

coming up on 18y on mine. my postfix config is almost of legal drinking age in a lot of countries.

modern email ecosystem is a fucking mess.

• o7___o7@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        2 months ago

eh, nix is experiencing a chudpocalypse at the moment, which might be why youā€™re catching strays

• froztbyte@awful.systems
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          Ā·
          2 months ago

itā€™s also really, really fucking unpredictable, in the the-other-parties-do-not-reliably-behave-the-same way

used to hate having to debug mail failing to deliver to yahoo, and now lately google has started filling that nicheā€¦