Need to let loose a primal scream without collecting footnotes first? Have a sneer percolating in your system but not enough time/energy to make a whole post about it? Go forth and be mid: Welcome to the Stubsack, your first port of call for learning fresh Awful youā€™ll near-instantly regret.

Any awful.systems sub may be subsneered in this subthread, techtakes or no.

If your sneer seems higher quality than you thought, feel free to cutā€™nā€™paste it into its own post ā€” thereā€™s no quota for posting and the bar really isnā€™t that high.

The post Xitter web has spawned soo many ā€œesotericā€ right wing freaks, but thereā€™s no appropriate sneer-space for them. Iā€™m talking redscare-ish, reality challenged ā€œculture criticsā€ who write about everything but understand nothing. Iā€™m talking about reply-guys who make the same 6 tweets about the same 3 subjects. Theyā€™re inescapable at this point, yet I donā€™t see them mocked (as much as they should be)

Like, there was one dude a while back who insisted that women couldnā€™t be surgeons because they didnā€™t believe in the moon or in stars? I think each and every one of these guys is uniquely fucked up and if I canā€™t escape them, I would love to sneer at them.

• ShakingMyHead@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    Ā·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Not to downplay what proton mail is doing, but theyā€™re saying that you can run this locally with a 2 core, 4 thread CPU from 2017 (the i3 7100, which is a 7000 series processor), and a RTX 2060, a GPU that was never considered high end. Perhaps they changed the requirements while you werenā€™t looking. Or Am I reading this wrong?

• self@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      2 months ago

only one of the 8 computers I own (and Iā€™m not being cheeky here and counting embedded or retro systems, just laptops and desktops) is physically capable of meeting the modelā€™s minimum requirements, and thatā€™s only if I install chromium on the Windows gaming VM my bigger GPUā€™s dedicated to and access protonmail from there. nothing else I do needs a GPU that big, professional or otherwise ā€” that hardware exists for games and nothing else. compared with the integrated GPUs most people have, a 2060ā€™s fucking massive.

do you see how these incredibly high system requirements (for a webmail client of all things), alongside them already treating the local model as strictly optional, can act as a funnel redirecting people towards the insecure cloud version of the feature? ā€œthis feature only works securely on one of the computers where you write mail, at bestā€ feels like a dark pattern to me.

• ShakingMyHead@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        2 months ago

Unfortunately, ā€œextremely expensiveā€ and ā€œhigh-endā€ arenā€™t really synonyms, thanks to, yā€™know, bitcoin. Of course, I donā€™t disagree with your argument that having to buy a GPU just to ensure your webmail does what itā€™s advertised to do is, well, dumb.

What I donā€™t know is what the LLM even is. Did they just tack on Llama to their webmail app and call it a day? Did they train a model? Was it trained on emails? If so, whose emails? What an advertisement that would be: ā€œUse Protonmail to encrypt your emails so that companies like Protonmail canā€™t use them to train an LLM.ā€